need some ideas about what to get

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deh310, Sep 10, 2005.

1. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

im looking for something with all wheel or 4 wheel drive, around 20-25k roughly. id like ok performance but dont really care all that much. and im not strictly limiting my search to cars but if its a truck or suv id like it be a nice one so i dont feel like im riding a tractor all the time. this vehicle will be used in alaska, dont really know if it matters but i figured id let everyone know. ok ot help me out with some ideas please :wiggle:

2. speedy

speedy New Member

I'm gonna say the obvious ones everyone will say, a used Evo or STi. You can find a decent one in that price range. Either those, or the Audi A4. You can find tons of the B5's and B6's for under $25k, even a B5 S4. Pretty much any SUV will give you 4wd.

3. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

thanks for the reply, ive actually considered all of those, and like all of them (not crazy about the looks of the evo though) so now the next question is reliability? pro's cons? anyone have any thoughts

4. speedy

speedy New Member

heh i can reply again...there have been horror stories about the Evo's reliability (glass tranny, crappy interior quality, other small things) and Mitsubishi's reluctance to help out customers. from what i hear, most of these rumors are true, so i would avoid the Evo. The Audi's are ok as far as reliability, I don't know much about them so I can't really comment. STi on the other hand...reliable car, great customer service from Subaru, 6 speed instead of the Evo's 5, better ride quality than Evo, and (objective) better styling. This would be my choice for an awd car to have. Just my .02, hope it helps

5. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I love using my Impreza in the winter here, looking at getting a WRX now. It will get you around as good as a 4x4 truck, with better gas mileage and handling.

6. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Would a used Allroad be in his price range, the varible ground clearence would be great for the snow.