need some help

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by conduit, Feb 24, 2009.

1. conduit

conduit sup

Hello everyone :sadwavey:

I need some help.

Two days ago, i go to turn my car on and as i turned the key, i lost all power (energy - all the dash lights went off). So i got a boost from my friend and i start driving for about 10-15m and when i pulled into a Tim Hortons and parked, the car just shut off by itself after about 20seconds being parked. After i boost it again, i start driving home and i hear this whine comming from the engine bay, so i thought my alternator died.

Today i go to a scrap yard and buy a used alternator, i install it and boost the car again. I start driving and i can still hear the alternator whine, and of course after turning the car off it wont start up again (no lights turn on, nothing).

So what do you guys think? Is the used alternator i bought from the scrap yard junk? Should i buy a new one? Could there be any other problem like the battery, and way to test it out? I just always thought that when you hear a whinig sound from the alternator area, it usally means the alternator is dead, but i could be dead wrong. :(

Any input/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. 5.0Torx

5.0Torx New Member

AZ will test alternators for free. i dont know why youd replace a crap alternator with another crap alternator, though. refurbed ones from AZ (which arent exactly the best option) arent very expensive if you turn in your old one.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Could be lots of stuff, alternator, bad wiring, bad battery, shorted charge wire, loose ground ...

4. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

disconnect the battery, get your friend to give you another boost with the cables on the battery wires, take the jump cables off and see if your car still runs

if it immediately dies, your alternator is bad, if it stays running then your problem is somewhere else

bad batteries can sometimes fuck shit up, and they can quickly kill a weak alternator.

dont bother getting the battery/alternator checked, because i guarantee you they will tell you its bad

how old is the battery? if its 4-5 years old, it needs to be replaced anyways, i would start off with a new battery, and go from there

the alternator is probably whining because it is trying to work so fucking hard because the battery is shot, at least thats my guess