Need some help with VPN connection!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbman96, May 2, 2003.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK if anyone can help me out here i'd be very appreciative.

I'd like to set up my home desktop (XP Pro) for remote desktop access, so I can control my PC from work and also to control it remotely from the laptop on wireless. I know I need to set up a VPN connection on the PC to do this. I've created an Incoming connection and given rights to a user. The computer is behind a router connected to my DSL modem (PPPoE) and set to keep the connection live all the time right now. I also am using no-ip to keep the dynamic ip address updated and accessible. (I know, this is a horrible chain of crap to get through, but it's what I've got to work with)

I set the router to forward ports 500, 50-51, and 2 others (don't remember right now) for VPN use to the PC's IP address. It's also set to pass-thru IPSec protocol.

Now, if I set up a VPN connection on another PC to point at my no-ip address, it says connecting... and after a few seconds, says 'confirming UN and PW'.... and it sits there for awhile, and then nothing. It says the host is not responding. I'm assuming it's getting SOME connection because it goes to the "confirming login" phase but then it doesn't get any farther.

Obviously I'm missing something... I'm not sure if it's in the port forwarding or what. I'm sure there's some crap I'm not aware of that I need to do to get the router to allow all this stuff through.

Anyone?

:sadwavey:

2. Mikel

Mikel .

An IPSec VPN isn't neccessary...you just need to forward TCP 3389 to the PC. Opening up the IKE/ISAKMP, ah, or esp ports won't do anything in your situation.

If you're using L2TP or PPTP, that's a whole other story...you'll need to open up GRE ports for PPTP, but I can't remember what you need for L2TP off the top of my head.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Can't help you with your specific problem, but I would definately start with no routers getting in the way of a good connection. Yes, you definately want to add this feature on later but start with the basics so you have something to fall back on - a baseline if you will. Otherwise you are going to be looking at multiple possible problems

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at that when I get home. Hope that solves it. It'll make my life a lot easier.

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Mikel, that worked great - I had read somewhere that it was necessary to establish a VPN connection FIRST, which was where all that other crap came from. I'm posting this response to you through my desktop computer but doing so THROUGH my laptop on a wireless connection. Cool stuff.

Wouldn't this be a spiffy way to surf work-unfriendly material from the office? :)