Need some help with this...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wolvish, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

For christmas, I got Halflife 2 and World of Warcraft. Both of them have been crashing a LOT.

Halflife 2 crashes at a certain point, no matter what I do. When you run up a certain flight of stairs in Route Kanal, the computer freezes for a minute, then restarts.

World of Warcraft has been getting "Error 132" popups. From what I've read, that has something to do with the processor overheating and shutting down before it damages itself.

All my older games run fine. I have a pretty decent system, the weakest points probably being the video card (128MB Radeon 9800 Pro) and the processor (AMD Athlon 2800+).

So, what do you guys think I should do? Upgrade the processor? Processor and the video card? Or is there some software solution? :hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

probably system instability. Either due to cpu, memory, or mobo. Run a memtest, seagate diagnostics, and prime95. If any fail, then you'll need to replace the bad components.

I don't know about WoW, but HL2 taxes your system pretty good, so even if it's stable all other times it still could be less-than-perfect hardware.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've run HL2 with a GeForce4, 1.4 Pentium IV, 512 Megs of RAM and it didn't crash. It was chunky, but ti didn't crash.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, but your hardware was okay. HL2 will run on pretty much any decent computer P3+ w/Hardware Acceleration... But even if you have a 6800Ultra, if it's defective, then it'll crash.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I misunderstood when you said, "Less than perfect hardware"