Need some help with setting up a raid in linux (fedora c2)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Alright heres the setup:
    8gb hd running linux
    2 80gb hd's (raid) that I want to use just for storage

Currently I have the 2 HD's unhooked because whenever I hook them up, linux doesn't boot up properly; it has problems loading the GRUB boot loader. So somewhere my raid is fuckin with the bootup. When I unhook the raid drives, it boots up fine. What do I need to do so I can use those 2 80gb drives (raid) for storage?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I'm going to assume a few things, I'm assuming that you are running psuedo hardware-raid with an onboard mobo controller. You've built some raidset with the raid controllers bios. Not via software with LVM.

Do you have the drivers/modules loaded for your RAID/IDE controller for Fedora? Do you have the correct settings in /etc/modules.conf? Did you have to make another boot image from for the raid library objects with your kernel?

3. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

RAID 1 or 0 (shouldn't matter, I am just curiours)?

How did you setup the RAID? in terms of hardware and software?

4. Little Spunky $#!T

I'm running a PCI raid card, and in the bios the raid card has been setup as a stripped raid.

What I need to do is partion the raid in Fedora somehow? The 2 drives are being seen when I go to "fdisk -l" but they are seen as 2 seperate drives, not one stripped raid.

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Driver... You need driver for your raid controller...

That's the first thing comes to my mind... A work around is to use your raid controller as an IDE controller. Which might still require driver, but alternatively you can use linux RAID support build into the kernel for this. RAID 0 for data is not a good idea though...

I honestly doubt that the gain in performance will be worth the risk....

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Yes, again, you need the driver. Do you have that installed and configured? Also, what devices are you fdisking? RAID devices regardless of bus are seen as sd devices. Not hd devices.

7. Little Spunky $#!T

Hm well I'm wondering if this PCI card doesn't support linux. In the user manual it doesn't show directions for linux, and I'm trying to search google to see if I can find a driver for it

8. Little Spunky $#!T

Well nothing too important will be saved on the raid. The server will consist of MP3's, movies, and I'm going to use the Active Directory so I can manage user names.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

First of all it sound like you have not built the RAID set on the controller. No OS should be able to see past the RAID controller to the individual drives unless there is no RAID array setup, and the controller is acting like a straight IDE controller. It should all show as one drive.

Maybe posting the make/model will get you somewhere as far as the driver goes (Sorry, I'm not a linux guy).

10. Little Spunky $#!T

Its a Silicon Image pci raid device (sil680)

I have build the RAID set on the controller. I set it as a stripped raid.

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Not familiar with that chipset, but since you can see the individual drives as it seems... then maybe the driver you have is just treating it like a JBOD setup, but even if that's the case, the inconsistancy of the RAID chipset bios and the things that they allow the drivers do is bad... Shouldn't happen from a proper engineering stand point...