A&P Need some help with my lens lineup

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Jan 23, 2009.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Ok well it looks like I am going to finally sell my 18-200 OS sigma lens. This leaves me with

50 f1.8
    70-200 f2.8 IS

Now I have already made up my mind when I decided to sell the Sigma that I was getting the 17-55 F2.8 IS lens as my main lens. I also want the tokina 11-16 and a 30mm prime. This is being used on a 40D BTW.

I have been debating over my 70-200 F2.8 IS lens for a while. While it is a sweet lens, I dont get much use out of it. I bought it for my daughters cheerleading competitions. They are held indoors this lens should be fine but the lighting does suck. So this past year, I used it at several of her football games which I was way up around the F8 range cause it is very sunny out and the zoo. When I did use it for the purpose I bought it for, sometimes I would still need flash and sometimes, 70 was just too long if I wanted anything more than a few girls in the frame at a time. See cause this year since I wanted to get good pics I got to the gyms liek an hour early and wait and have my pic of seats. So all in all my lens was used about 15 times, 5 for what I actually bought it for.

So thins brings me to the point of this thread. I have the opportunity to trade my 70-200 f2.8L IS for a 70-200 f4L IS and the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and we are close enough to just drive and try it out and go home and no shipping. my struggle is with the think I am going to miss f2.8? I mean I cant say I have really shot at 2.8 much with it and it seems I am using a speedlight when I am shooting with it for what I bought it for. The temptation of having the 11-16 and still have a 70-200 that is still ideal for outdoor is almost to much right now. and I think that once I get the 17-55 and 30mm, I will have my own ideal lens lineup

should I dooo eeeet??

2. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I would do that trade without even thinking twice about it. The 70-200 f4 IS is probably the sharpest zoom canon makes. Maybe the sharpest zoom ANYBODY makes. It's just a ridiculous lens. It's also SOOO much lighter and smaller than the 2.8 IS. I chose the f4 over the f2.8 because I usually use that lens outdoors, so I didn't need the extra stop. Some people do (wedding shooters, etc).

I also have the tokina. I think it's probably my favorite lens. That focal length will really fill out your lens lineup, all you'll be missing is the 17-55 or the 24-70.

I say go for it.

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

yeah this is where I am at with it also.

and the 17-55 will be mine in less than 2 weeks to round the entire thign out

4. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Really, if you already have the f2.8 and don't shoot wide open very often, I see no reason to keep it when this trade is available.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I was hoping OTAP would talk me out of it. :)

6. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Well I'm sure some of the wedding guys will tell you to keep the f2.8 :o

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

but see thats the thing - I dont see myself ever as a wedding photog. Them guys have way more talent and patience then me.

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

If youre not doing low-light or low-light action, you dont really need the 2.8.