Need some help with a punctured tire...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by shohan, Jun 13, 2007.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

I finally got around to changing the oil in my 94 Sportster 883. Well, during the process I notice that I have 1/2" screw sticking in the front tire.:noes: Anyways, I 'unscrew' it a bit and it leaks air; so I've screwed it back in, but haven't rode it since noticing.

It's my first bike and I really know nothing about the tires. Do I need to replace the tire? Is it tubeless or can I just replace the inner tube? I don't want to take it to the dealer and get talked into something I don't need.

2. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Replace the tire. You only have two, and if one goes it gets messy in a hurry. Tires are definitely something you should never cheap out on.

3. shohan

shohan New Member

Oh I wasn't debating on whether or not to replace the tire. My question was more whether the tire was tubed or tubeless. If it is tubed I can just replace the tube as the tread on the tire is fine. Of course if its tubeless a new front tire is in order.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

It will say on the tire whether it is tube type or tubeless. Most likely its tubeless on a road bike.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

All depends on a Harley. With spoked wheels they sometimes ran tubes even in tubeless tires.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pretty sure its tubeless. Could probably do an inside patch on it and it would be alright know several who've done it.

7. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Well what model XLH883 is it? There were 3 that year (Standard, Hugger, and Deluxe). I can go check the parts books at work if you know, and tell you what it should be running.

8. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

its really up to you since its your life, but i know guys that have put plugs in bike tires with no problems at all. but like i said, its your bike and your life. it all depends what kind of value you place on it

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't do a plug for anything more then to get me home, inside patches generally makem good as new though, that said last time i picked up a nail it was in my rear and I smoked it till it popped and it was only a 2 week old tire :hs: