Need some help with a Dell

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sportec17, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

So i just picked up this computer from a friends house and i have no idea what it is. Its somewhat new(last year or two) and has a pentium 4, thats all i can tell. My problem is i have no idea how to even get the case off...
    It has a push in piece of plastic on the top and bottom but they don't really do anything...any ideas how to see what i have here?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Dells are all proprietary and unusual. Even once you get the case open, good luck doing anything to it.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If its the newer black cases, stand it up, facing away from you. Then lay it down on the left side. Push in on the two buttons on the top and bottom and lift up. It will take some jerking and pulling, but the case will open up. Its hinged at the front, just below the drive bays.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You can do quite a bit to Dells. All of the disk drives are easily replaced. As is the video card (assuming its not integrated) and any of the PCI cards. The memory is upgradable as well if you go to Crucial.com and look up the model number. The motherboard is standard ATX/uATX form factor but as far as I know, the power supply connector is still wired so that you must use a Dell power supply with a Dell motherboard unless you repin it. Also, it will have a custom wiring harness for the power button, LEDs, USB, and audio ports in the front of the case.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah - optiplex gx260's open this way

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I thought they used a proprietary motherboard form, much like ATX except backwards or something :dunno:

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not sure what you mean by backwards. I'm not sure if they're all ATX but they certainly look like ATX boards and I know someone who swapped a board from an IBM machine into a Dell 2350 or 2400.