A&P Need some help v. using flash

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fallenauthority, Feb 21, 2010.

1. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

So I have been trying to use my 430EXII more and get used to using flash and such however it is proving a bit difficult. Right now I am still working with it on camera until I can master that then I will move it off camera.
    I find that often while using E-TTL the camera will set a super low shutter speed, usually below 30, which of course makes for shitty handheld photos. However if I throw it into manual flash adjustment once I get a feel for what to set the power at on the flash it takes great pics at a shutter of 200. This is just what ive been playing around with tonight, which was in Av mode, not sure if E-TTL reacts differently in different priority modes on the camera.
    Should I just learn the manual flash power settings better and not use E-TTL or is there something stupid that I am doing wrong?

2. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

The exposure program definitely affects your flash behavior if you're in ETTL. Av and Tv modes will use the flash for fill light. M and P modes will use it as the primary light source.

If you're in Av or Tv, the camera will try to expose the scene with the available light, then fire the flash for a little fill. That's why you're getting very long exposures. In M and P modes, you control the ambient light with aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, then the flash will fire to properly illuminate your subject. If I'm using a flash, I'm almost exclusively in M, but I might switch over to Av if I'm shooting outdoors.

3. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

Ok thank you very much, I have used the flash in M before and adjusted everything else to where I wanted it and it did seem that the flash was more effective. But your explanation covers why, because it uses flash as primary light. Makes much more sense now.

4. David

David New Member

I know on my XTI theres a custom function to make the shutter speed fixed @ 1/200 when in Av mode with the flash on, so you can have any f/stop and still be @ 1/200.