SRS Need some help sorting out what the hell I'm doing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by interpol, Feb 19, 2006.

1. interpol

interpol you can't spell basement without semen

I'll try to keep this brief,

I've fallen for a girl who is leaving (has left but i'll see her once more in 4 weeks) overseas for approx. 9 months to a year. She had planned this before we met. I've never been this attached to anyone, and the feeling is mutual. She has never had a relationship. Her friend who has known and lived with her since she was 8 often mentions how strange it is to see her like this because she never likes anyone and supports that it's real. She has used the L word with me (first time for her).

The last person I was remotely into at this level took me a year to get over. We've agreed we don't want to kill this and think it'll last (we have decided to do the long distance thing), but in the end a year is a long scary time.

Here's the irrational-in-love-idea I have: Defer my second semester of Uni and go up to London half way through this year and live with her there and travel around Europe for the remaining 6 months.

It's a big call, is it stupid? She said she'd love for that and that she'd wait till I arrived before she did any of her exploring around Europe and just work in London for the first half. I've got money and time to do it I guess.

The problem I sort of see in all of this is that it's my first year of Uni. I spent last year hating work and everything that was going on in my life. The prospect of Uni doesn't thrill me at all either but it will kill some time. I think maybe having a break that long from job/education might throw me off a bit in terms of direction and just turn me into one of those people who just settles with a shitty job and lives to support the next day and that's it.

On the other hand, I can genuinely say this is the first time I've felt happy. I've been really tired and bored with life since I was ~13 and have just wanted to die. Not in the whiney cut-myself kind of way, but nothing has really seemed worthwhile to stick around for. So I figure I should jump at the possibility of some happiness and not think about the rest.

If anyone could support one way or the other I'd be interested to hear.

2. JOKEREMPIRE

JOKEREMPIRE New Member

Some points:

Think about your future first - you sound late 18'ish / early 20'ish, about right?

This travel thing might bring in a few new things into your life, other than this girl, too.

Not sure what you've planned for your future, but as you mentioned you're at the point where things actually decide what your future will be like.

However, if you feel you can take these 9 months - 1 year 'off' without it having in impact on your future in terms of job, edu. , etc. then do it, enjoy it and see the world a bit. Europe is nice to travel, many diff. cultures to find without spending too much time really.

So at the end of the day, think twice - girls come and go in your life until you are old enough for a real keeper...
    You job / education part though, will have an impact on all your life in some way or another.

just my 2ct (the 2 cent smily missing here?)

3. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Unless you know things are really gonna go far with her, I wouldn't stop your education cause of her. But if you believe she is really that special, by all means go ahead and visit her, but only if you make sure that you know how you're gonna make up for your time away from education. In other words, just make sure you have a concrete plan for the future if you go see her. It's all about if you think it's worth it or not. Not to be cheesy but follow your heart I guess.

4. UndefinedMinded

UndefinedMinded Active Member