Need some help setting up a website on my PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I would like to host a forum, but I'm not quite sure where to start. It's going to be a small forum, probably no more than about 50 users.

Would it be possible to host from my home PC? If so, how? I have a pII 333mhz w/ 384MB RAM and a 12GB HD running Win98. When I get my new PC, the only thing I will be using the pII for is surfing the web, and word processing. Would I be able to use this old PC as a server? If not, I was considering buying an slightly newer machine, and just using that as a slave server for the Forum, but how fast would it have to be, and what else would it need on it? I need to be able to upload files via FTP as well.

Anybody want to help me out here, I know it's awfully vague, but basically I just need to know what I need to get setup. Domain name, DNS, what else? What capabilities (i.e. Processor speed, RAM, HD space) would the PC need to be to handle a small user load? I have a cable modem, but I am constantly downloading and uploading on DC++ and BT, so would it be better to split my connection between the server (old PC) and new PC, or should I get seperate dedicated line to the server?

Any links, guides, or FAQ's would be extremely helpful, thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  2. the biggest question is: how many concurrent users, and at what sort of rate will they be posting. you could host it on your 333, if you're in a LAMP config, but not with great success. you really need a gig+ processor, or a couple of decent processors in a dualie board.

3. Blazed Monkey

What is a LAMP config?

There are usually no more than 3 or 4 users on at a time. I really don't expect it to grow much more than this, but, who knows what will happen. Basically, it's just a place where all the members of my family and extended family can keep in touch instead of email each other all over the place. On any given day, unless there is some major drama, there are usually no more than 15 posts total, but as I said, I really don't know if it will grow beyond this.

Say I had a computer with about 1.5Ghz processor and 256MB RAM; Would I still be able to do word processing and surf the net on it while running it as a server?

4. linux apache mysql php

you could probably support that many users on a 333 with no issues, for the time being.

the 1.5's limiting factor would be RAM -- GUI word processors plus browser windows plus server services would be quite a bit of drag on a mere 256mb.

5. Blazed Monkey

so something with a moderate (around 1.5Ghz if not higher) processor, and a fair amount or RAM would be preferable? How much RAM would you suggest?

6. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Hmm, don't try to reinvent the wheel here. You are new to setting up this stuff so I wouldn't try to do it just yet, you have to read a lot about security and everything too. Why not just spend a couple bucks and get paid hosting? Less hassle, and you can do the same thing. If you are willing to buy another computer to do this then you must have money, so go with paid hosting, you wont regret it.

7. Blazed Monkey

I want to do this because I want to learn, and at the same time, I would like to be able to have the server next to me instead of some remote location. I've done paid hosting before, and while it was nice, I'd like to step it up a notch. I've built and ran websites before, quite a few of them, but I've never done anything on the hardware side of the website, such as run a server, so I don't really know where to begin with that or what it would take, that's why I asked. I'm not a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, I just only know half of the equation, and I need you guys to fill in the other half.

I asked for some links too, got any informative links for me to help get me started?