Need some help setting up a Watchguard Firebox x55e

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm having trouble setting it up. I setup all of the network settings, but when I plug it into my network, everyone loses the internet. I'm sure it's something simple, but I just can't figure it out. The documentation and online forums are useless.

Anyone have any tips? I know next to nothing about these.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I know that the WAN and LAN side can't be on the same switch without VLANs - holy crap that screwed us up (despite it being two different subnets).

Yes - their Help buttons are a freaking joke. When looking up information on a specific button's function it describes what the button does from a very executive standpoint.

Gateways...

The Gateway button lists the currently implemented gateways.

Thanks! I certainly couldn't have figured that out for myself!

Anyway - are you having problems with it crashing your network or it simply blocks all internet traffic?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

As soon as I plug it into our network, all the machines lose internet access completely. The firewall grabs all the external network info correctly I believe, but that's it. I have no idea why.

I do have someone coming in on Monday to help me set it up. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it's something simple.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

But are you using the same switch for network traffic as you are for the Internet connection, Firebox to Internet, Firebox to your network, and your whole network? See, if that's how you've set it up, it will literally fuck up your network (I have no explanation why - it really shouldn't). And by the sounds of it, if you're simply plugging in the firewall into your network, and your network already has internet working, then your gateway hasn't changed in the IP settings of each computer and therefor the traffic isn't even routing through the firewall. It's simply its existance on your network that is causing you grief.