Need some help recovering/bypassing a lost BIOS password on a laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Dec 13, 2004.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

A guy I know picked up a Gateway 2000 Solo P3C laptop at a garage sale. It has a BIOS password on it and the people that sold it do not know it.

I searched Google, but didn't find anything helpful. Any ideas? I didn't take the machine apart yet hoping I wont have to.

2. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

take out the battery and reset it

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG!

I love how people don't really know much about a desktop, so they think that it translates to a notebook.

removing the battery is the wrong procedure for a desktop, and it doesn't even work on a notebook!

Sorry, cmsurfer, but you'll have to send it back to gateway (if they'll even take it) for service. Due to increased theft of notebooks, pressure was placed on notebook manufacturers to make reseting a bios password less than straightforward. Someone had mentioned in another thread that "failsafe" passwords are used by the bios manufacturers. If you knew that password for your gateway, then you could enter that, however, they're hard to find (if it is even implemented for your model) -- again, due to pressure resulting from theft.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I figured it wouldn't be easy. And I knew that the battery wouldn't be the answer either if I could even find one.

I took a look on a few sites that listed possible backdoor passwords for the Phoenix BIOS which I believe it has, but none of them worked.

I haven't figured out how old it is, but from looking up the model, I don't think it's even 100Mhz. The guy I got it from said he called Gateway and they wanted $300 to fix it for him. Totally not worth it...

It was only $5 and he got it because he wanted the case that it was in, not even knowing there was a laptop inside. When he went back to let them know, they said he could have it anyway.

Thanks though... I guess it will be nothing more than a paper-weight for him or maybe parts to try to get rid of...

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i think you should turn the LCD, keyboard, and mouse into a portable crash-cart. It'd be a lot of work to get the LCD working with a VGA input, but it'd get a 10/10 for cool-factor.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well it's not mine. I told him I'd take a look at it. If he doesn't want it, maybe I'll take it do something with it...

7. what about flashing the bios to a recent version and then back to an older version? that could reset your bios password to default, which should be blank.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you cant boot the system to flash it w/o entering the password. won't help.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

^^ Correct. I have never used BIOS passwords before, but on this machine, you get prompted for the password before it even posts.