Need some help, programs not working after SP2 install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hideon9, Feb 2, 2006.

1. hideon9

hideon9 The plane will take off.

A couple weeks ago my g/f installed service pack 2 on her computer, and since then both Ares and BitComet have stopped working.

They both worked fine before that, and she says it started as soon as she installed SP2. The Windows firewall is turned off and both programs are allowed in her other firewall. Both have been re-installed with newer versions and still don't work. AFAIK she hasn't done anything else that should have affected the programs.

So, can SP2 have blocked those programs somehow? If not, what else could be causing it?

thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

SP2 'could' have blocked them, but adding them to the exclusions list in the firewall or turning off the firewall should have solved that.

What other firewall is running? I'd try to turn that off to rule it out.

You could always try a uninstall/reinstall of SP2.

3. hideon9

She has Mcafee I believe. It's in the allowed list and we've tried disabling it.

How would I go about uninstalling SP2?

4. chips

chips ...

try utorrent and see if it works if it does not then id check the ports and find whats blocking them... Uninstalling SP2 is not a great idea IMO

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have done it before with zero issues... And reinstalling fixed the problems I had. That's what uninstall programs are for and SP2 has one in add/remove programs in control panel.

6. chips

chips ...

1/3 of the time it works iv seen it kill the registery quite often then doing the uninstall

7. hideon9

She tried a different bittorrent client and it didn't work either. Other people at her school can use both fine so we know it's not the school blocking it.

Any other ideas besides re-installing?

8. hideon9

Just found this, related?

What is the 4226 issue in Windows XP SP2?

Windows XP SP2 limits the number of TCP connection attempts to 10 (quite small ). If there are more concurrent TCP connection attempts, Windows generates a warning: EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. You can go to Xp's Admin tool, event viewer, look in system tab and notice tcpip entry (with yellow warning sign). The detailed discription can be found in Microsoft documentation: Event 4226, EVENT_TCPIP_TCP_CONNECT_LIMIT_REACHED
    In Windows XP SP2 there are only 10 concurrent TCP connection attempts possible, while in SP1 it has not been limited. (A connection attemp is a query to a computer, if it accept the TCP connection or not. If the computer is for example no more existent, it will be waited for a few seconds, until a timeout occurs and the connection attemp get canceled. )

9. hideon9

So does anyone know anything I could do besides re-install SP2?

10. hideon9

11. skelm

skelm New Member

I'd definately be looking at this further..

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get rid of McAfee. The Windows XP SP2 firewall works quite well on its own, and it doesn't like playing with others.

If you must use another firewall, download the Sygate Personal Firewall from download.com. It's a very interactive firewall, it asks you every time a new program wants to use the internet. It doesn't block shit without telling you. And it's free.