need some help on setting up a phpbb2 forum...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by myfrenlikesu, May 27, 2003.

1. myfrenlikesu

myfrenlikesu Member

has anyone set one up before and has a little time to teach it'll be great... any kind of help would be great... thanx .com :bowdown: members...

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

it's not too bad of an install. What are you having trouble with? Did you read the docs?

3. myfrenlikesu

myfrenlikesu Member

yea i read it... but i dont really understand some part of it... i have att boardband... and i dont even know if i can host a message forum with it... i have a total of like 70megs of webspace...

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm, i doubt att would have mysql/php installed which phpbb runs on. But I would find that out first, and if they do, you're set.

5. myfrenlikesu

myfrenlikesu Member

so i would have to call att and ask em if they have sysql/php insalled

6. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

it's really easy to set it up if you already have a hosting provider.... assuming that they are decent they should have pre installed scripts on the control panel..

we are a hosting provider and we use CPpanel 6.0 and all you have to do is click on phpBB install it and tell it on a simple form what you want the name , description and password to be.... and it even writes up the database for you.... easy easy stuff..

but its more complex if you have to do it manually....

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Even if you don't have cpanel or some cheater's tool it is failry easy to set up. And no ATTBI will not let you do PHP and defiantely isn;t giving you access to a SQL server. If you are just doing it for experimental purpouses try running it on a windows machine with apahce and mysql. If that works you might as well just hook that machine up to your cable modem run NAT on it to share the conenction and use it as a firewall server. Then you don't have to pay an additional hosting fee.