WEB Need some help.. IE6 compatibility..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insert Tokens, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I'm at my wits end..

I fucking HATE IE6 :wtc:

Please help..

Looks fine in everything except IE6.

http://playerslounge.com.au/new/

(images are placeholders, nicer graphics will be made soon.. just trying to get layout working atm!)

1. PNG isn't transparent (I know this is an IE6 prob, tried a few of the workarounds listed on google, they don't work).. is there ANY way I can still use that PNG semitransparent logo? The idea is that the background graphic will be randomly pulled, and that semitransparent white logo will just sit over whatever is placed behind it.

2. The javascripted slideshows don't line up properly in IE6.

It's a custom Drupal theme i'm working on for my shop. :hs:

2. Mangos

Mangos New Member

the work arounds work, you're just doing it wrong

3. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i dont take ie6 in to consideration anymore.
    If i were you i would put a little note asking users if the site looks messed up. then put a google firefox ad with the suggestion they sign up for firefox, and making you a cool buck.

4. Insert Tokens

I got the workaround working just now, but it only works on individual images. Can't tile images etc. Ok for my logo, but not for the friend's site, which had a tiled PNG background on a DIV, over a page background. Plus it's just stupid that we need to do all these workarounds and hacks just to make a site look NORMAL on one single fucked up browser.

Drpepper: Seriously considering just doing that. Detect IE6 or below, and give them an alternate page saying to upgrade their browser.

I'm more concerned about the slideshows at the moment, since I can just incorporate the logo into the header graphic if I really want to.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

IE6 hates PNGs. IE6 will not display transparencies that PNGs have. My suggestion would be to include the background images as part of the logo. If you need the logo linkable, then make a linkable box in CSS.

I used to get pissed at IE6 but I've since realized that it's pretty easy to design for IE6 as long as you know what IE6 will have trouble with. Most of these are marginal and padding issues which can cause problems with positioning when you design. Keep that in mind.

Nice to see others using Drupal. :wavey: You may want to specify an older doctype if you're going to use tables as your main design.

6. Insert Tokens

Cheers kingtoad. Drupal is pretty awesome.. looking forward to making the switch when this site goes live.. using Joomla atm. Just need to get this damn layout sorted. I've already got one site running on Drupal (www.lamsinfo.com) but it's just a free layout.. just used it to learn Drupals workings.. the Views module, etc.. all practice for this main site of mine.

Any suggestions on getting the slideshows to sit properly in IE6? I'm going to incorporate the logo into the header so I don't have to stuff around with "workarounds".

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I don't have IE on the machine I'm working on right now. I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight.

8. Insert Tokens

Thanks heaps. 4am for me now anyway, gotta be up at 8. I appreciate anyone looking at it and trying to help me get it lined up properly. My brain hurts from trying to get all this crap working, and the fact that I now have to redo the entire site for my friend since it used so many PNGs.

9. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

10. Insert Tokens

:bowdown: Thank you heaps!

This is why OT rules :bigthumb:

Now i'll integrate that PNG logo and it should be sweet..

Just a shame that something as brilliant as PNGs can't be used thanks to one stupid browser. According to my stats it's 19% of my traffic for IE6 along so i'm at their mercy for now.