Need some help, computer shutting down

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pmoney, Feb 7, 2007.

1. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I know you computer whizzes are out there.

About 2 weeks ago my computer started randomly shutting down. It would sort of restart but there would be nothing on the display. I would restart it manually and again it would shut down after a while. Checking the system log just said that windows had a possible driver issue. I haven't changed anything in a couple months. Soon after that, it wouldn't even boot to the bios. Everything would power up, but no beeps, no display, nothing.

I RMA-ed the mobo (Asus P5WD2 premium) and just got it back yesterday. It was on for about 10 hours before it shut down again. It stayed on overnight but today everytime I rebooted, I would barely get to the windows desktop before it rebooted again. I then booted directly to the cdrom drive with a knoppix rescue cd. From there I could still access the hdd material just fine. But soon after that crashed as well. Now again I can't even get the bios to boot!

Do you guys have any opinions here? I don't think its the PSU (OCZ powerstream 520) because it still powers stuff all the time and the vid card seems ok too. Its not any peripherals because I cant even get a BIOS boot even with only the cpu/hsf/vid card/mobo/ram attached.

Could it be a ram problem? I have heard though that in that case the bios would sort of boot and make lots of beeping noises. Besides when I got my new mobo it worked fine for a while.

I would really really appreciate your opinions here, I am fucking pissed to have lost usage of my comp here at college.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If the RAM were faulty, the computer would shit itself randomly and messily. If it's just shutting off, then it could be three things, in my mind:

1. The CPU is overheating, but that wouldn't affect an idle computer after about 20 minutes or so.
    2. The power supply is failing, but again, if the computer was sitting idle the power consumption wouldn't climb and the PSU wouldn't overload.
    3. You told either the BIOS or Windows to hibernate after a few hours and forgot about it, but it's not hibernating correctly so it can't resume and it hangs with a black screen.

3. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

The CPU is not overheating because I have had my temp monitor on when the computer was working and for 10 hours it was fine and 20 minutes later after I had climbed into bed I hear it turn off.

Everyone I talk to thinks its the PSU as well because they do some weird shit when they are going bad. Only thing is that if the PSU was bad it probably wouldn't restart, it would just turn off. I am just hoping that when I RMA it I dont have to get a new mobo again as well, since it may have affected it too because a PSU problem can fuck a lot of shit up.

I am pretty sure I checked those hibernation settings in windows and I know for a fact I did not change them from default in the bios on my new mobo. Besides it didnt always turn off when idle (sitting still for 10 mins).

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it's not bluescreening then it's almost certainly not the RAM, and it's unlikely that you got two faulty motherboards in a row. If it isn't predictably shutting off only when under heavy load, then it's probably not a heat problem, CPU or Northbridge or anonymous transistor or otherwise. I'm gonna say at this point that it's time to buy a new PSU, or at least borrow one from a friend. Also, consider buying some air conditioner foam and using it to make air filters for your fans. Winter causes static, and static attracts dust, and dust traps heat and causes sneak-circuits.

5. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

The only time it did bluescreen was just when I got my new mobo and after it shutdown the first tme it ran again for a few hours after which any restart would immediately reboot as soon as I reached the desktop of windows. Around that time it started bluescreening before a crash. IIRC it bluescreened when I wasusing the knoppix rescue cd once.

But whats weird is now my mobo doesnt even boot the bios. I don't see a heat problem for the cpu or the northbridge (just got replaced with the mobo obviously).

Oh yeah I do have one intake fan it and it (120mm) does have a filter i clean regularly.

I am rmaing the ram, might be able totry another stick if I can find someone here willing to let me try it before I go ahead with it. But I'm probably gonna go ahead and rma the psu anyways even though all signs point to it being normal, it is the most likely cause of this problem.