Need some halp Truck guys v.DodgeDakota

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Noah, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

So I purchased my young brothers 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab off him for a scant $1500. 4.7L, 4-spd auto, no power anything, and needed a lil work. Using it as a daily driver. There is significant rust on the body, frame, suspension, brakes, mounts, etc as the truck was driven in Ohio's Salty winters. The front two window crank and inner door assemblies need replaced, the windows need to be tinted as I'm in Texas, etc.

Or is it worth just dumping the truck? I figure 3-5k should make it drivable for several more years. The motor is strong (147k miles) and transmission shifts fine. Not planning on doing any towing with it.

Need some input OT. Thoughts??

Weekend car is a Audi A5. Just throwing it in there.

2. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Unless you need the truck to haul things around in I wouldn't put any money into it really. Just use it and abuse it until it fails then trade it in or sell it. Not worth the money once its reached a certain mileage unless you need the truck. But even then 3-5K can get you something pretty nice still.

3. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

if its a $1500 truck ... fix what needs to be fixed to make it a safe vehicle ...

fix the brakes, fix the suspension, and fix the body mounts .... get the windows tinted cheaply, and fix the drivers window crank (no one cares about their passengers anyway) ....

door panels are merely added weight to eat your gas mileage ... and unless the frame is in serious danger of causing problems while driving that could be harmful to your health then i would ignore it ... same with the paint and body work.

i say fix the important stuff ... anything that is convenience or cosmetic or aesthetic .... fuck it, make it run safely and be done with it ....