Need some good 6.5' coaxials

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neo22, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Ok guys I just had a Alpine 9833 installed to my 05 dodge ram. I replaced the 6x9's that were in the door with a plate made for 6.5's. I currently have a set of CDT CL-6X installed in that place. OMG they are far and beyond the brightest, most harsh speakers I have ever heard. They have a metal dome tweeter and i'm thinking i need one with a silk dome. Anyone have any opinions on something that will sound smooth, clear and between $100-150 that will run off the head unit power?

Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

CDT makes some good speakers. I've been very happy with the CL-6X's when you use an amp and have a sub...

running of the HU without a sub it's not gonna sound great -- but then, not much is.

3. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Adding an amp is going to make them sound less harsh and take away the over brightness, if anything its going to add to it. I bought coaxials so I wouldn't have to buy an amp. 26rms is good enough for me out of a head unit.

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm using a pair of Phoeenix Gold ZR6.5 comps right now, and they sound awsome. About in your price range as well. You will need an amp to get the best out of them though. Although they didn't sound bad at all when tried them with my 9833 for a weekend.

5. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

Those are a nice set of coaxials, especially if you like a very bright and snappy sound. The only thing I found with them was that they had a hard time playing down to some of the frequencies that other comparable components could hit. Still a nice set of speakers. As for me im waiting to install a set of infinity reference 6.5 components in my car.

6. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Isn't that what a sub is for?

I was originally going to get some Kappa coaxals (sp?) but decided to go this route, and I am soo happy I did. The sound is awsome :)