Need some car stereo advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by K270, Sep 22, 2006.

1. K270

K270 New Member

I have a question for anyone good with car audio equitment. I recently purchased a new car stereo. I had it installed and four or five days later the music started to cut out. I know there was sound trying to come through the speakers because I could hear my sub-woofer beating. So I shut off the ten disc changer in the trunk and put a disc in the player up front. The music started to play, but within minutes the music cut out again. I returned to the installation center and they looked the unit over and checked the wiring. They said there was a pinched wire. They fixed it and sent me on my way. Five days later the problem came back. I again returned to the installation center. They pulled the radio out and told me to go inside and get a new radio. So i did. They installed the new radio. I left, but within minutes the same problem returned. I have a nice setup and this problem started with the new radio. all the other equitment i have has never had a problem.

The other stuff I have includes:

Two Amps (one powers my speakers, the other the subwoofer)
    A nice set of speakers
    A Sub-woofer
    A Cap
    A Ten disc changer and the
    Radio

All the car audio equitment I have is aftermarket. So is the wiring. I've never had a problem with it until i had the new car deck. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

You suck?

Nah, j/p.

It could possibly be a loose ground, or maybe a speaker ground out causing the system to "shut-down".

That's where I'd start.

3. K270

K270 New Member

Cool, thanks for the start.

4. u4ikstilz

u4ikstilz New Member

Does the voltage drop?

5. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

speaker line is grounding/causing a short.

6. K270

K270 New Member

Not sure. I'm taking it back to the installation center on Thursday. I'm looking for insight incase they hit a wall. If I remember correctly they checked the wiring once and said it was ok. Hopefully the problem can be solved quickly.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

them them to leave the speakers mounted, and use a meter to check from the deck harness if one the speakers are grounded to the door or bad... if it's not the RCA's... which if they go bad, they are usually bad from the begining.

8. K270

K270 New Member

^Cool. Thanks!