need some box info guys

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NINELIVEZ, Mar 30, 2003.

1. NINELIVEZ

NINELIVEZ New Member

OK. . Guys, i have 2 MTX Thunder 8000 4 ohm subs and a thunder 81000D amp, im looking for 100% sq. i have a few of the box building software programs that you guys mension but i dont really understand how to tune a box. i realise that it has to do with the size of the box but thats all i know. i want a sealed box and i know that amp will push plenty of power, actually now that im reading the specs it might be an overkillbut. . ohh well i already have the amp,and i have a sheet of 1 inch MDF to build the box. can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start with the tuning. .I have all the spec papers of the subs and the amp if that helps. .
    it will be in the trunk of an Avenger

Thanks

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

using the box building software i skinda fun once you understand it basicly look for a nice flat curve in the response table the tuning frequency should be somewhat low for sq the easiest way to do it is to use the manufatures suggest box size then go from there

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

post this so- called building box software. (I have only seen one version of this program) The stuff I've seen so far isn't very helpfull.

4. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

WinISD is a good program for box software and free. TermPro looks cool but is pretty expensive :(

WinISD has a large driver database, and if yours isn't in it you can get the parameters and enter them into it.

5. NINELIVEZ

NINELIVEZ New Member

YUP, YUP, ,WINISD is the main one that i was using, and i didnt see the driver database for the thunder 8000 subs in there so i guess ill have to try and enter the parameters and see what happens
    It seems like a decent program i just need to learn what all the parameters mean.

Thanks. .

6. 04

04 Guest

If you are looking for 100% sound quality, and you are a beginner, it would probably be the best idea to go with a sealed box. Tuning a box is only done for ported designs.

Also, the enclosure design software like winISD is a great "guesstimate" if you will, but the speaker will sound much different inside a car's interior than what it will predict.

A good start is to open up winISD and load the driver, and choose closed box design. The default size should have a Qtc of around .707. If you want pure sound quality, I would probably make the box a bit larger to get more low frequency extension.

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Re: Re: need some box info guys

This is true, really the only thing that I use it for is determining port length.

Also something worth mentioning although most people probably know this is that EVERY vehicle is different and it takes a while to figure out what sounds best for you and your vehicle.