Need some Autorun Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aries240SS, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Aries240SS

Aries240SS Slow Nissan

I'm looking to create an autorun file which will put a shortcut to webmail login on the desktop of any computer it is run on.

Anybody got a clue on how the autorun file should look?

2. peerk

peerk New Member

I tested this out on a USB microdrive and a CD and could only get it to work on the CD. The autorun.inf file only ran on the USB microdrive after right clicking on the drive and selecting autoplay.

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to the website you want. Right click/new shortcut then type in the url.

2. Create a copy.bat file and in it put

Code:
    copy webmail.url %TEMP%\..\..\Desktop

Change the webmail.url to the name of the shortcut you created. For example if you named it mywebsite, it will be mywebsite.url.

3. Create a file named autorun.inf and in it put

Code:
    [autorun]
    shellexecute=copy.bat

4. Burn the autorun.inf, copy.bat, and webmail.url to the cd.

Here is how it works. The autorun.inf file tells the computer to run copy.bat. The copy.bat file then copies the shortcut file that is on the cd onto the user's desktop.

I used %TEMP%\..\..\Desktop because I could not figure out a better way to do this.

You might want to just copy it to Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop depending on exactly what you want to do.

Also, if you are on a domain it may be easier to do this with a login script.

Here is a screenshot showing autorun.inf, copy.bat, and the 3 files copied over to a cd.

screenshot

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  3. Aries240SS

Aries240SS Slow Nissan

Thanks! That worked great!