GUN Need some assistance while shooting.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sLpFhaWK, Mar 22, 2009.

1. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

I wouldn't say im a horrible shot, but when I aim dead center of a target all my shots are grouped around 7-8 o clock. according to this target im jerking or slapping trigger or tightening fingers.. I currently have a Sig p226 and was thinking about getting a .22 to help fix this error. I've been at the range shooting a friends 22 and he loaded the mag w/ a couple of dead slugs to see what i was doing wrong and he said i was predicting recoil.. would getting a 22 and practicing correct my faults? Or am I just wasting money/time getting a .22?

[​IMG]

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i have a p226 and my friend had trouble with jerking and slapping the trigger.

i know this is a silly example, but think of when you were a kid, did you ever break pencils? hold them between your thumb and index finger with each hand until it bends and eventually snaps. you never knew when that snap was coming, right?

think of the trigger pull like that, you want to take up the slack until you start to feel pressure, then SLOWLY pull directly to the rear. the gun firing should be a surprise to you.

this might help :wavey:

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

At lot of people seem to advise dry firing practice to work on your trigger pull, try and pull it as slow as possible and such and hope that translates to live firing.

4. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

same gun, same issue. i have that 'flinch' issue, its normally grouped in 2-3 inches but always at 7-8 oclock.

5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

both damm good advice.
    do alot of dry firing and feel your trigger.another thing,it will "loosen"up over time.think of it as a girl you met for the first time.you got to feel her out,she how she work.over time,you`ll know exactly how to set her off

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

dry fire practice helps but it is only dryfire. The thing that most newer shooters have problems with is blinking. It is a subconcious reaction when a fire cracker goes off in your hands. A big part of the blink is the noise. I recommend that you double plug (ear plugs + ear muffs). This helps a lot. Second is you have to focus on the front sight and you have to see the front sight lift in recoil. This is the whole secret to accurate shooting "calling your shot". If the sights were on target the moment before the sights lifted the shot is there. I did a write up about this in the archives.

7. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

i did this plus dry fire and it helped me alot. If you keep the front sight in focus throughout the shot you'll improve alot i think. It takes me 2 shots to get back into it, then Im good.

8. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Awesome thanks for the replies. So getting a 22 isn't worth my time? Even tho it's cheaper to shoot? And while dry firing should I get some of those dead slugs or just take the mag out?

9. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

.22's are awesome, you can shoot it all day for $15 or so.

10. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

Also, where are you placing your finger in relation to the trigger?

Most new shooters seem to want to put their first joint on the trigger. I noticed I had this problem a lot when I started shooting pistols. You want the pad of your finger on the trigger and try to pull back without squeezing the other 4 fingers on your hand.

11. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Dryfire until you can pull the trigger without the gun moving

12. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

22's are pretty awesome. You can spend a whole afternoon at the range and only go through a few bucks...

13. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i was told when i first started shooting that a .22 pistol is great to practice on. its cheap, and you can work on trigger pull and your grip [like the things on that target in first post]. granted you wont get the recoil control, but you can practice everything else.

only thing i dont like about my P22 compared to the P99 is that the 22 is 75% the size, so it just feels a little too small.

i def wouldnt call it a wast of time tho, lots of fun, especially now that larger calibers are so hard to find :sadwavey:

14. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Dryfire helped me a lot, but just mindless trigger pulling probably won't do anything but hurt you. I would do dryfire, and hardcore concentrate on my front site. If the sights moved (or I lost focus), I lost the game and who would have to start over.

I've also been playing around with a dot on my Kadet kit, and I'm really liking that for helping diagnose grip issues. It makes a great visual aid to see exactly what happens to the gun during recoil, and allows me to fine tune my grip/stance/etc. Actually (and I'm still new with this) I wish I would have done this earlier, as I really think it has the potential to help my mechanics more than just about anything I've done. Instant feedback is awesome, and I think I might setup a 9mm upper with one to work with something with a bit more recoil.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

flinch

17. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

I've spent quite a bit of time teaching myself to be able to focus on the front sight quickly after opening my eyes as well as when moving from target to target. Just something that has seemed to help myself quite a bit.