GUN Need some arguments for the 2nd ammendment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Iceburn, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

Were having a debate in my US History class arguing the 2nd ammemdment. I need some good arguments cause 2/3 of the class are hardcore anti-gun liberals, giving the whole "we dont have militias anymore and the police protect us" crap.

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

militia is defined in the US code, us v miller.

us v. emerson defines the 2nd amendment as an individual right, looks at all views of it to show that

courts rule police dont have to protect you

somethin like 12k intentional malicious deaths due to firearms vs 1.5 mil or more times of self defense

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

average police response to a priority 911 call is 8 minutes

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Written by federal Judge Alex Kozinski:
    "The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do, but few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late.The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed--where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Essentially the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with a militia. Its something I would expect most of your classmates won't get but at its very core its about our founding fathers realizing that all government can turn corrupt and the only way people can protect their freedoms and rights is to be able to overthrow a government that attempts to deny them those things. Its something I don't think most highschoolers can appreciate and grasp while they're living at home and going to the mall. It seems unfathomable to think that some day they might be oppressed people. Good luck.

I imagine you can find something juicy here
    http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    You might find some interesting things on the JFPO's website:
    http://www.jpfo.org/jewsandguncontrol.htm
    Maybe more here:
    http://www.guncite.com/

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
    ---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787)."
    ---These are big words that I just don't think most highschoolers and perhaps most people can't really appreciate the gravity of because of how good we have it today and how long it has been since our last revolution.

5. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike. It is its natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson

"If the price I must pay for my freedom is to acknowledge that the government was granted the power to infringe on them, then I am not free." - Pol Anderson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. - James Madison

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty." -Thomas Jefferson

Edit: Throw this in too
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." -WWII Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  6. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

You are absofuckinglutely right. Hopefully some of them will open their eyes at some point in their lives just in case there ever comes a time when any of that stuff matters.

7. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

sig check :o

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

sig czech.