Need some advise

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by spitfyre, Mar 7, 2006.

1. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

My current set up is a 10":o buffer and mothers 3 stage worked ok but I want to move up

My budget is around $350 CAD and would like to most if not all my shopping at http://www.carcaresmart.com if possible. I know I need a buffer and pads but I am not sure what to use for cleaners sealers and wax. I know there a re thousands of threads about this I just to know what products works well togetehr so I can start teh season on the right path. My car is silver if that helps but I will be doing other cars as well.

Thanks

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Get the Optimum Hyper Compound and the Polish even though they don't have it there. My second choice would be Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II, which they do carry. Menzerna FMJ is an excellent, super easy to use sealant but it is a bit pricey. The Mother's Wax you have now is also fine. Another option is the Werkstatt twins, Prime and Acrylic Jett. www.jeffswerkstatt.com

3. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

:cool: Thank you

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Optimum Hyper Compound? WTF is that?

5. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Ok I bought all of the supplies hurt tha bank account a bit but I am sure i will be happy. So just that I am sure the steps should be

1. wash car
    2. Clay bar
    3. Optimum Hyper compound (with cutting pad)
    4. Optimum polish (cutting pad)
    5. mothers wax (finishing pad)

6. Scottwax

Step 3 only if needed, step 4 using a polishing pad and you can even step down to a finishing pad after the polishing pad with Optimum and it will work like a glaze.

7. Scottwax

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-hyper-compound.html <-----that's WTF it is!

Ignore the part about needing a rotary and its high speed to break the abrasives down. Optimum uses organic abrasives that break down via shear force, something you definitely get with the PC.

8. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Thank you
    I ordered all that stuff last night so hopefully I will have some pics in a few weeks

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Interesting.

Im assuming youve had a chance to work with it for a while?
    Ive been ahving some DAMN good success's with the Optimum Polish and the Megs burgandy cutting pad getting out 90% of the stuff i want it to, albeit with some extra passes where needed.

You think there woul dbe any real reason to get the Hyper compound? And what particular situation would be best to use it with?

10. Scottwax

Hyper cuts a lot faster than Optimum Polish. Doesn't finish down quite as nice except on hard paint. I use it on cars with heavy swirls and defects.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Nice.

Be cool if they made it in a smaller sized bottle though. Hell, im not even a third of the way though my Optimum, and ive got at least 15 cars out of it. (plus a couple of scratched CD's, works wonders)

12. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

Well most of my stuff came into today all I am waiting for is my optimum hyper compound and polish and I should be set.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  13. Scottwax

:dunno: I think it would be rather nice to spend $15 on a bottle and be set for a couple of years....

I go through it a lot faster but I also have a local distibutor of Optimum Products. :)

14. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, yeah, i suppose.

its jsut that i find the optimum bottle to be a bit odd shaped when it comes to fitting in my detailing bin.

I suppose the solution is to buy three bottoles of optimum to it makes a square.
    (i bet you would like that wouldent ya patrick? ;) )

15. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

16. Scottwax

#3 kit looks good. Meguiars #2 must have been reformulated because it used to be rotary only. By PC, it is about as aggressive as #83 DACP.

Meguiars charges a bit more for the G100, aka PC 7424 but you do get a lifetime warranty instead of a one year warranty. Probably worth the extra $40 for that.

17. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Yeah....the $40 bucks difference for a lifetime warranty sounded good to me too....overnight shipping included on the replacement.