Need some advice - Working out after a car accident?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

Hey guys, rarely post here in the fitness forum (usually lurk over in the backstage), but I figure this is a pretty huge community and I might get some good advice. Lemme get the cliffs out of the way:

Cliffs:
    - Used to be fairly diesel, worked out regularly, trained boxing/martial arts
    - Got rear-ended by some dude going like 50mph, no brakes, I was dead stopped
    - 6 bulging discs in my back, it hurts to work out, I'm 30lbs lighter now and getting soft

So like the cliffs say, at my largest I was 225lbs, and used to strength train 5 days a week. I was strong as an ox! When I started boxing I shredded down to 198lbs so I could fight cruiser weight and not get my ass handed to me by 400lb monsters in heavy weight class. Stopped boxing, trained back up to 205lbs, went into martial arts for a while. The whole while I kept a reasonably low BF% like 10%-ish.

Fast forward to September of last year, and I'm dead stopped waiting for a car to turn and this guy not paying attention blasts into the back of my car going 40-50mph. Doesn't even touch his brakes, my buddy in the passenger seat has to go off to the hospital, dude get's ticketed for careless/wreckless driving, and I end up at the back doctor. MRI shows 6 bulging discs, torn up shoulder, torn up hip, and torn up knee.

Now after therapy and treatment, my hip and knee aren't terrible and my shoulder has its on and off days, but my back and neck still hurt pretty much constantly. If I go back into the gym and try to train like I used to, I can get through the workout with virtually no pain, but I guess the strain on my back takes a few days to catch up. Lately I can get one good week on, but then it's like one week off to recover, so it's not really doing me any good in the body mass or back healing department. I'm down to low 190lbs now, feeling kinda soft (14% BF now), and just as an example my typical bench rep weight went from 225lbs to 165lbs (proper form, no asshole floating off the bench, so save the you can bench 350lbs comments). Aside from a few slip ups from the, "I can't work out, I don't care," mentality, my diet is still about as good as it was when I was hardcore training. I really don't know where to go from here, but I obviously have to change up something. I only know my old schedule, I've done it pretty much forever, and it's as follows:

Monday - Chest, 3 exercises, 3 sets a piece, 6-10 reps a set
    Tuesday - Back, same
    Wednesday - Shoulders, same
    Thursday - Legs, same
    Friday - Arms, 4 exercises, 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Obviously that's not going to work anymore now that my back is injured, so this is where I need help. I can't even do leg workouts anymore, the strain on my lower back (where the most damage is) is just too much. Should I try to do some kinda circuit/endurance training with less weight and aim at getting shredded vs. sheer size/strength? I'm open to basically any suggestions.

Oh yeah, I should also mention that for my day job I ride a desk all day, so that doesn't help. Thanks in advance!

2. Kooomar

Kooomar .

I have 2 bulging discs, and one ruptured disc wall, so I know the feeling.

I had to take off of everything for about 7 months after it happened (was moving furniture... fucking never doing that again) But now I am back to working out. My orthopedic surgeon said to 100% stay away from deads, squats, heavy bending, etc. But, I do maintain with the rest. Running is also pretty helpful, it keeps me limber.

I also stretch and do PT weekly.

So, in short, I take ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, and workout things that don't hurt my lower back

3. FrankieSixxxgun

Yeah, I haven't tried deads or squats since the accident, and once I did some lat raises and shoulder presses with dumbbells and crippled myself for like 2 days. I'm sorta getting the hang of what hurts me and what doesn't. I try to run on the elliptical machine when I can, but I just hate that hamster in a cage feel of it. Jogging on real ground even with good shoes aggravates my hip still.

So I guess I should just continue on working out, even with the strength and weight losses I took while completely out, and that's where I'm at, huh? Since I really can't put legs in the mix anymore, any suggestions on a more effective routine? It's kinda beat being mildly crippled at 28 years old.

4. Kooomar

Kooomar .

I feel you, being physically hindered at 24 blows... But I basically do everything I can, and try other things slowly, then focus on PT and stretching a lot more.

For example, I just added leg extensions into my workout plan. I could do these a few months ago. I also just stretch a TON, I do my my PT trainer tells me to do, its called McKenzie Extension Protocol. It basically pushes the discs back in, and supposedly works for 80% of people.

I'd check into physical therapy if I were you, its a good addition to working out.

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I'd work on gay isolation movements where you can take your back completely out of the equation. leg extensions, machine curls, high rep low weight, shit noobs do. It's better than nothing. Trying to back squat is probably a bad idea. Body weight stuff at most for anything involving the back. High rep body weight squats, etc.

Go see someone who specializes in corrective exercise, but more likely than not you just need to go super slow and be patient.

What you can't do in the gym you're going to have to make up for in diet.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

For my back I've been almost exclusively doing body weight exercises or modest weight on a cable machine. Trying to bust out some heavy rows, deads, or whatever just ain't happening. Kinda sucks. I thought about doing the high rep, lower weight cross training deal. I might give that a go a couple days this week and see if that gets me sore/swole more than these weak sets I've been putting up.

This week I'm resolved to putting my diet 100% back on track too, so hopefully that'll help. I already messed up a bit though as I woke up for work a little late and only had time to suck down one of those dannon light yogurt drink deals before running out of the house. Dammit. :/

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.