Need some advice v. craigslist

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shootpar72, Nov 26, 2006.

1. shootpar72

shootpar72 Go get em tiger

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

differences as far as I can tell.

First is a smaller screen, has more RAM (2 GB vs 1 GB), but a smaller hard drive (160gb vs. 250gb)

The second has a larger screen, less ram but a larger HD.

Do you need to have a G5 for school? Is there any reason you aren't getting an Intel computer? The new ones with Intel processors let you run windows also.

3. shootpar72

No specific reason to have a G5 just looking for a good priced Mac. If I buy one of those 2 would I not be able to run windows?

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

No, well you could but it wouldn't run well at all. You can emulate Windows, but you couldn't do anything other than MAYBE run paint.

The intel processors let you create a partition on your current HD and boot windows from that. All you need to do is download a free program from Apple and it's pretty easy, I just finished it in about an hour.

5. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

what applications do you run at school?

the screen resolution and larger hard drive can be very helpful, esp when a 1GB ram upgrade is so cheap.

6. shootpar72

ahh ok, i do have a hp laptop that I am doing all of my work on now, so I would have both windows and osx, would you only go the intel route?

7. shootpar72

I will be using photoshop, illustrator, video editing etc. That is a good point about the GB ram upgrade, isnt it only $150 now for another GB?

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Well, I personally went the intel route because I wanted to be able to use windows ONLY to play games, which could easily be done on my macbook pro.

THe 2GHz G5 should be able to last you for a bit, I don't see many programs droping support for the G5s anytime soon. If you have a HP notebook that can handle any PC only apps that you would need, then the G5 would save you a lot of money.

9. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Bout $100 per 1GB module. Adobe apps wont run natively on the new Intel machiens for another few months. If you can wait to buy a new computer(or refurb intel) till those apps ship, you'll have the most computer for your money.

Adobe Lightroom beta is Intel-Only, wont run on G5's. We'll see how things play out when CS3 comes out in 07.

10. shootpar72

ok, I am right with ya. So, I gotta decide whether I want to be completely up to date with Apple and get the intel processor, or I could save a few hundred and get a G5, which will work for right now. Would there be anyway to update to the intel processor if I find that things are not supported by the G5 anymore?

11. shootpar72

Right, if I could wait it would be ideal, but I am looking to get one and become familiar with it before I have to work on projects in December. And this is very interesting about the Adobe products. So right now if I buy the intel, I would have to run Boot Camp to use Photoshop or Illustrator? And also is the lightroom and CS3 finals gonna be G5 compatable?

12. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Only way to go intel after you buy a g5 would be to buy a newer mac.

Most PPC Applications will run on an Intel machine in a form of emulation, with a noticable performance hit, there are a few people on these boards who run Photoshop on intel for a living, you would have to ask them about their feelings. If you asked me a few months ago if there was any chance that CS3 would not support PPC macs, I would have laughed, how could adobe abandon such a huge market? Not so sure now that Lightroom is Intel only.

13. shootpar72

Thank you for all of your help guys! I am now informed :) I will let you know what I decide! Thanks again :hug: