Need some advice quick!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Claydus, May 19, 2002.

1. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

Ok my stock speakers in my 97 Accord are basicly shot right now. I am thinking about a setting up a component system. I see that they make a component systems for the 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 but not for the rear deck 6x9's. I'm sorta confused , so would i get the components and get 2 or 3 way 6x9's for the rear deck? i'm not getting into Subwoofers or boxes because the last pair I had were stolen. Any advice from anyone? :confused:

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Get a nice comp set up front and amp it. . . .if you want rear fill then just get 2 way 6x9's (or 6.5's) and run them off the HU.

3. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

thanks a lot ....... some other friend s have said that too

4. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

if you're not gonna get any subs, I would put some baffles on those 6x9s. It'll hit a lil harder.

personally I don't like 6x9s...Its a full range speaker. They tend to distort quicker than other speakers because you have a full range of frequencies going to them.

5. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

so you saying i should have 6 1/2 components on the rear deck or something?

6. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

thats what I would do, but only if i planned on putting a sub(s) in the trunk. But I would go co-axle instead of componets...its the rear dash, tweets facing up wont help much. Alot of the newer co-axel speakers have tweeters angled in one direction. Bostons, Diamonds, Eclipse, and MB Quarts all have angled or adjustable tweets in their coaxles.

I would really recommend going with a sub. You don't have to buy anything big or showy. You just have to buy the right equipment. JL 10w6 or 10w7 will hit like crazy. Boston's DVC subs hit hard as hell with the right size seal enclosure. You only need one of these subs. Good MTX, PPI, Zapco sub amp and you're all set. Buy something thats easy to conceal. And don't show it to anyone or jam it around your hood. Dont want to advertise your shit.

Be advised...the W7 requires a shit load of power. Hits harder than anything i've ever heard. This is not the sub you just want a lil bit of bass.

7. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

If you're going to have a sub then just have midbass in the rear with no highs, if you're not gonna have subs then if you do get a comp set in the rear be careful that it doesn't pull your soundstage to the rear (it should sound like it is coming mostly in front of you). But anyway, that's just my opinion.

8. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

i really dont think 2 speakers will cover it when it comes to highs...especially the front ones in the doors. gotta have some highs coming from the back....the idea is to not know where the music is coming from....a balanced system has music surrounding from every direction....not concentrated in one.

9. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I strongly disagree. In a home with a theater setting perhaps that would be true. However, the goal to accurate soundstage reproduction is to have the music coming from in front of you as a live performance would. In which case, rear fill mostly distracts you from the front stage. If done properly, however, it can add a great sense of depth.

10. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Makes sense Bob....personally, I like it coming from every direction. When I worked at Mobile One Car Stereo...everyone and there mama asked for it the way I mentioned....They weren't Iasca Judges, but they sure new what to buy. lol

11. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Exactly. Personal preference, I guess.

12. 04

04 Guest

I guess its more of a personal preference, but for the most part, I would reccomend only running a front set of speakers. I dont understand what you mean though by saying a balanced system must have music surrounding you??? :confused: I would imagine the recording engineers who recorded the music you are listening to envisoned them being played over two channels (stereo). Perhaps if it were multichannel music like DTS or DD 5.1 the rear speakers would be good, but I dont really understand their point otherwise. It would also save you a lot of money, you could spend twice as much money on the front speakers, then on 2 pairs of the same for front and back.