GUN Need some advice on BUIS/co-witness.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jan 23, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

So I'm pricing out my AR build that I'll be starting in about a week and I'm trying to decide on what to do with the iron sights. It's going to be a flat top and I plan on putting on an Eotech, but it will be a while before I can afford that so I need something for the meantime, and to use as a BUIS later down the road. I originally wanted a detachable carry handle, but I don't know how practical will be with an Eotech attached. My other option is a flip-up BUIS.

So is the detachable carry handle usable as a BIUS with an Eotech, or it just too big? Would the Eotech be too far forward to be useful in CQC? If not, what kind of flip-ups do you guys recommend? I was looking at the YHM 9680 mainly because of price ($65 on arfcom) and I've heard some decent things about it.

Fawk, too many options to even think about. Someone sway me one way or the other so I can at least narrow it down. :hs:

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Spend the money on a Troy rear sight, and save money by sticking with a normal fixed front sight base. In that instance, you would probably spend less than buying a crappy front and rear folder.

Make sure that the front sight base is an F-marked FSB, so that it is the proper height so as to work properly with the rear sight without needing a taller front sight post.

I would not use a removable carry handle. What's the point? If you're going to get an EOTech, you don't want the carry handle in the way. If you order an upper with a carry handle, you spend almost as much as if you had ordered one without and bought a good rear sight instead. The carry handle will be heavier, harder to sell if you end up not wanting it, and much less friendly to mounting options for the EOTech.

3. xpinchx

Thanks for all the advice. Do you know if this upper has the f-marks? http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm

4. footratfunkface

I do not know. There are options, one of which is a standard A2 front sight base. You would need to call or email them to find out if it's an F-marked front sight base.

While you're asking them stuff, ask them if any of the barrel options have M4 cuts in the barrel extensions. You want M4 cuts in the upper receiver AND the barrel extension. You want a chrome lined barrel. Most everything else is user preference. I have opinions on those, too, but you should finger some rifles and figure out what you want on yours. The above items, however, are FUNCTION related.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My M&P-15 had a "F" stamped FSB. What exactly does that mean? Actually, my EOTech has a "F" printed on it, too.

6. xpinchx

I was going to get the 1x7 M4 chrome-lined barrel and the flat top upper with M4 feed ramps. I was going to skimp out on the feed ramps but it's only $25 extra and it might prevent a few malfunctions so I figured it's worth it. But yeah I'll have to e-mail about the front sights. Thanks for the advice. :coold:
    They're made to match the height of mil-spec rear iron sights.

7. footratfunkface

And sorry if I seemed to imply that you're an AR idiot, but I don't know who knows what, so I figured I'd cover the bases while I was at it.