Need some advice on 6.5in & 6x9 for a Firebird

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jun 14, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Looking to replace the factory craptacular speakers. (89 Firebird)
    I was looking at the Kenwood KFC-1689ie possibly for the doors, and the Kenwood KFC-6989ie for the rear. I would like to stay in the price range as well.
    Right now I have the Panasonic CQ-C1300U
    [​IMG]

What do you guys recomend for speakers? I'd like to have some decent bass out of them, but mostly clarity. I will get subs later for the bass end of things. Right now I just need new speakers. I mostly listen to Rock/Metal, but sometimes everything en between. What do you guys recomend?

Stealth -

2. On_One

On_One Guest

What is your total budget?

3. StealthMode

Just enough for the front's and the rears maybe, I could wait with those for a bit as well. I just need something that sounds half assed decent. I'd like to get the fronts and rears at once though. So maybe between $200-300?

Stealth -

4. StealthMode

Come to think of it, I have a pair of Kenwoods in my truck that I bought not too long ago, 6.5in, not as nice as the ones I listed but they aren't bad, I could install them in the doors and just buy some 6x9's for the back. hmm

5. On_One

On_One Guest

6. StealthMode

I got a pair of dual cone pioneers that I could throw back there, not the greatest, but they sound better than stockers. How does that sound?

How is that amp? There is hardly any info on it. Have you heard it yourself, if so, how do you like it?
    Those components look nice, but where to mount the tweeter, kick panels worth it?

Stealth -

7. StealthMode

Crap...kickpanels are another $150... :sad2:

8. On_One

On_One Guest

You can mount the tweet on the apillar if need be.

Kickpanels will likely give you better response in the mid range where as a door install will offer better midbass response, in most cases.

The USacoustics amp very solid. Probablly the best budget amp out there inmo.

This amp would also be a very good choice

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=MK2120

9. StealthMode

Well I am going to say screw kick panels, $150 here, $150 there, hell, that adds up fast and I am on a budget! I think I could swing the components and amp though.. Probably not right away though, so in the mean time I could throw in my Kenwoods that I have ($50 pair of 2 way) in the truck atm.

I've heard that the older firebird and camaros rattle with new speakers, how would you recomend I fix that? (other than the obvious, tighten anything thats loose :p) Dynamat Extreme in the door, pack it with insulation, what do you guys recomend? I'm still on a budget and would just like to get the best bang for the buck, besides, theres nothing like hearing a car come down the road with the pannels rattling like hell :ugh:

Stealth -

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

well the best way to take care of rattling is to tighten down anything that is loose, seriously. It might be a little time consuming, but it's worth it. Also if you get a rattle were dash panals meet, or some other panal, you might want to use foam tape in between. Use the single sided foam tape, or weather stripping and put it on the back side, or in between the panals so that it's out of sight, but adds some backing to the panal. This tends to dampen alot of the rattling in GM products, and also makes the tolerences look alot tighter, and the car alot cleaner. Finaly, I would use Dynomat on both your front and rear speakers. In the rear, use a sheet around were the speaker mounts , and also behind the speaker on the quarters. This actualy helps pretty good. In the front use it around were the speaker mounts, but unless you are going with a custom enclosure, don't worry about using it behind. F-body doors are practicly all fiber glass, and any rattles you here will probably be comming from lock or window hardware. However the foam tape can be useful in isolating and eliminating some of the rattles in the door.

11. StealthMode

Thanks for the tips.

I read somewhere that you could mount the 6x9's in the rear lid under the hatch instead of mounting them in the pillar, (I hope this makes sense) would that be a better place to mount them? Keep in mind I am also going to throw 2 10in subs in the back too.. Ideally I want something that will sound good and not take up every inch of space, so I guess the original mounting spot for the 6x9's would be the best place no?

Thanks again.

Stealth -