need some advice from you IT peeps!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Oct 29, 2003.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Heres my situation..I am currently in a community college with one more year to go. The thing is, I fucked up a lot in college and have a bunch of withdrawals and Retakes etc. What i really want to do is to transfer to the University of Washington and get a CS degree. At the same time, there is a side in me that wants to go to ITT tech and get a BS degree in data communications system technology. I really need you IT guys help here..should i try and go for the UW program despite my past school performance, or should i just go to ITT tech? because i dont want to waste my money and go to ITT and get a BS degree that wont get me no where...

2. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

A school like ITT Tech your going to get more 1-on-1 training. Your instructor will know who are.

Depending on the type of enviroment your able to learn in the best will be a major deciding factor.

I've been in some of the same situations you've been in.

Basically you just have to weigh your pro's and con's to see what's best for you :)

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

A degree from ITT tech will hold little to no weight when applying for a job. Just what I have heard. :wiggle:

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

yeah, that was a long time ago. I heard recently that they've started getting a really active reputation going on though. I don't know :dunno:

5. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

It all depends where your trying to get a job at.

ITT Tech vs any big would hold no weight but I think this will change in near future. This shouldn't discourage people to go to schools like it.

But none the less ITT Tech is getting a better reputation from what I have heard personally.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Just like shopping for a car - look into what classes both schools offer. Figure out the classes you think you'd like and the classes you know you'll have to suffer through. Then look at the cost per credit hour (or per semester or whatever). If school X is more expensive than Y, is it worth it? Are the classes more challenging, more exciting, more worth while?

Any 4 year degree will do. I'd have to say a college/university degree would hold a bit more weight, but it also depends. ITT would definitely be a lot better then no degree.

Try not to worry about the job market. Just find an area that gets you excited and go get a degree that will let you work in that area.

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I dont know if I agree with you on that comment Astro, look at me, I did two years of computer programming, graduated, can't find a programming job for low pay even....I also went to college...I am working doing tech support for road runner now, for 12$ CDN an hour, hate my job, wish I had gone to University straight but I dont even know if that would solve anything...we got people that work here with 10+ years of software development also I know of one person with a PHD, and a lot of people that graduated from college from my course...point is the job market is a BIG thing to look at IMO, so you dont end up like me, writing code on the side just to keep it fresh in your memory...

if I could find me a programming job right now for 30K (way lower then what I should be making-all in CDN) that would a gift from heaven, but I'm not holding my breath...I know I need to go back to school, just gotta find something else I enjoy besides writing software :hs:

8. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

thank you guys for the advice, i really appreciate it. I think im gonna suck it up and get done with school and grad from the UW. Thanks again everyone!

9. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

You can judge every sitution from your experiences. I have 2 years of CCNA no cert yet and A+ haven't taken the test. And I make more money than you. I do have alot of connections though :)

10. Leb_CRX

well thats the thing, it's a general idea

my sister has her masters in business, working now for over 70K a year...my bro in law has his master in business too, and two other degrees, and is working for a bank making 11$ an hour

I know it depends, point I was trying to make is check the market see if there's a demand, cause in my area there is no demand for people like me...sucks but what can you do...I have been looking at moving, but canada seems bone dry and the states you need a visa :wtc:

it also depends, see maybe you got your job cause of your connections, maybe there's someone out there better then you (no offense, just making a point) who applied for the same job but didnt get it cause he had no connections.

11. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Well can you tell you what Canada's taxes are like. I've heard their pretty crazy :eek3:

12. Leb_CRX

15% on everything you buy (excluding milk, bread, shit like that)

my check bi-weekly is like 870+-$, I end up with 720+- if i'm luck

ya it's rape

13. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

That's not too bad. I was under the impression it was more :dunno:

14. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

why don't you move someplace where your skills are in demand. why don't you move to the states.

15. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

IT jobs are slim pickin right now. People will accept ITT degrees, but you have to prove your knowledge to them. So my recommendations right now is if you can get some sort of part time job doing tech for like shops and what not. Learn what you can outside of school. People want experience and knowledge. I know people from ITT and all they know is what the learned in class and don't know anything else. Then I have some other friends who went to ITT but know what they are doing, have good troubleshooting skills and what not.

16. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

do not go to ITT. I believe you will waste your time and ruin your marketability. Go to UW, they have a fairly decent CS program but you will be able to actually move past the 50K/year mark on your salary. I wouldn't even look at a resume if it had ITT on it. ITT is for people that couldn't make it to real universities directly or via JCs, it's vocational training and should be equivalent to refrigerator repair (computer is no more than an appliance).

17. Leb_CRX

they wont let me since I dont have a visa (I dont mean the money one), and they wont give me one

18. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

i didn't know you had to have a visa if you wanted to come to the states from canada. i guess that kinda puts a damper on teh idea.

19. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You don't - you have to have a work visa though. If you're in demand, the US companies will handle all of this, but if not you're kinda boned.

20. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

a friend of mine came here from sweden a few months ago and got maried, however in the mean time to get a job he just went to the mexican part of town and got a green card and a ssn for $85.

21. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

for all of you guys looking for a job, there is many down in seattle area. I live in bellevue and see many ads for jobs at monster.com and hotjobs.com. MY zip code is 98005 so you can use that as a reference for searching.

22. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Leb_CRX: The idea is to find what you want to do BEFORE making out in the real world. I've met several people who've gone to school to get job X because the market was huge for it. They work it for a year or two and get burned out because they can't stand the work. Anything in computer science I think tends to be like this.

As for your position, its tough. Its a tough time right now. Its a personal decision, but you need to decide if you want to really be coding or not. If so, you may need to make a geographically move or bust a move looking around. People network might help a bit too. Checking out what the local college scene is offering in terms of jobs might help too. I've done the tech support thing when I started out. It was oddly enough healthy since I picked up some people skills, but you really don't want to get stuck in a rut doing help desk.

As for work visas, yeah, you need one if you're from the USA and you want to work in Canada and vice versa. My dad got a job in Canada and the company took care of the visa (but they had to show the Canadian gov't that my dad had a skill they were not able to find in Canada) and they covered his moving expenses. Even though my dad was working, my mom and sister were not able to get jobs since they didn't have visas. I'm pretty sure this works the same in the USA.