GUN Need some advice from the WMD crew v.AR15 in 6.8mm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, May 29, 2008.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

disclaimer: I'm not a gun expert, which is why I'm here. :hsugh:

When I get back from my current deployment, I would like to buy an assembled AR15 in 6.8mm caliber with a quad rail and a tactical stock. I've been told that Rock River Arms puts out a good quality AR15, but I don't want to spend the ~$1000 they want for that configuration.

I'm not a budding gunsmith and don't want to assemble it from parts, although I know that would probably be the cheapest route available. Any suggestions?

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Just build it, ffs. If you can put together legos you can build an AR-15.

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Hate to tell you, but with a FF quad rail in 6.8 I highly doubt you'll be able to find one less than 1k. Even the more basic 5.56 with no rails are 850ish :dunno:

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Any special reason why you want to go with a 6.8? You might also want to take a look at the 6.5 Grendel round, as it offers the same or better short range performance, but you also can push that round out to long range.

6. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Can't you use a stock .223 lower for 6.8?

7. Ranger-AO

You are probably right. I regularly disassemble my M4 for cleaning, so I'm sure I could assemble one - assuming I order the correct parts, they come with all required hardware/screws/pins/etc, and they all fit together properly. My issue is that given that I'm no gun buff I would probably order incompatible pieces and end up with an expensive collection of junk. Which is why I'm here talking to you. :wiggle:

:eek3:
    Thanks for the info/links! :bigthumb:

I'll use it for deer hunting, mostly. And to maintain my skills between deployments. (I'll be coming home this summer, and going back out again in about a year.)

I believe so. AFAIK the only things that are unique to the 6.8mm cartridge are the magazine, the barrel, and the bolt. But I've been known to be wrong once or twice.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

What ranges will you be hunting at (I know NOTHING about hunting, so if deer hunting is always done within x yards, sorry :o).

Really, it isn't hard to build one on your own. Buy the lower, buy a RRA or some other name brand (other than DPMS or M1S) LPK (Stag, CMMG, RRA, etc), buy a buttstock from almost anyone, ranging from piss cheap to mortgage the house, buy the upper, follow the guides on barfcom for how to assemble, and you're done.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For your needs especially for hunting why not just stick with a AR10 in 308. It's a better hunting round, and the ammo is easier and cheaper to get.

I know a lot of people say and recommend building a AR but to be honest it's not for everyone. You need specialized tool granted they are not that expensive. You still kind of have to know what your doing.

If your a casual shooter, Internet shooter, etc not so much a big deal. If your a serious shooter than there is something to be said about having a specialized gunsmith build your gun.

I shoot my guns a lot and like to think I know quite a bit about the platforms I shoot. Still with my competition guns I have my gunsmith do most of the work. There are a lot of tricks to get the performance and reliability out of these guns that you just can't learn from reading a FAQ, in a book, or watching a DVD.

Now some Internet commando is going to correct me and say "Oh it's easy, I built my xxx and it runs flawless, not one malfunction Yar is a idiot with a lot of money". Ok high speed take your home built to a match, or a training class where your gun run the gun hard for a 1000 rounds, under stress, under less than ideal situations, and see if it fails then. I can tell you I've seen literally 100's of self built AR choke and die at 3 gun matches. Why can't I hit anything, why does it jam, why did this part work loose, why does it go into bolt action mode? Afterward the rifle goes off to some smith to be worked over.

Now there are people with the mechanical aptitude to build up a gun and get it right the first time. There might even be a few people who just got lucky. If you think you can do it and it's a recreational gun then go for it. You'll probably learn a bunch. I do not think it's wise to advise every new shooter on the net to build their own. They maybe completely unqualified.

10. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

You should really consider a 6.5 Grendel upper. Same assembly as a 6.8 (different upper, different mags, everything else the same as a normal 5.56), but it has better performance and BC at longer ranges (over 250yds). The 6.8 is great to about 250-300yds but has similar performance to 7.62x51 and falls off after that. The 6.5 Grendel is much better suited to longer distances without really giving up anything on the short end either :cool:

11. Ranger-AO

Usually between 100-300 meters.

Okay now we're getting somewhere. Maybe I should make a new thread titled something like "School me on building my own AR15 6.8" :coolugh:

Ugh... from what I can tell, even building my own, I'm looking at ~$1200 in parts alone (and I'm probably forgetting something):

KT68 16 inch SPR Combat Edition Upper Assembly $555.00
    Stag Arms 6.8 SPC AR15 Lower Assembly w/CAA CBS Stock $315
    Stag Arms 6.8 SPC Bolt Carrier Group $130.00
    Standard Charge Handle $18.00
    ERGO Sure Grip $24.00
    PRI MSTN 6.8 QC Brake Muzzle $82
    PRI 25-round 6.8 SPC AR15 mag $40

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

you don't need a 6.8 specific lower. IIRC, stag charges like 100 bucks more for the 6.8 marked ones than the .223 marked ones.

Skip the CAA stock as well I would say. you can get a RRA stock for like 75 bucks.

13. Ranger-AO

I'd like to stick with something with specs as close to my mil issue M4 as possible - but with enough punch to take down a deer. If I had it my own way (which I don't) I'd take my assigned M4 home and just swap out 6.8 caliber parts to turn it into a hunting gun. But the military is kind of picky about keeping positive control over their weapons. :coolugh:

I am most likely not going to build my own, for the same reasons you mentioned. :hs:

This is a plus for me. :hsd:

14. Ranger-AO

Cool - I'll look into it more tomorrow. Mission prep is in a couple hours and I need to get in a quick nap.

Thanks for all the help, guys. :wavey:

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

It's easy Yar, you moron :mamoru:

Nah, i get what you are saying, but I would argue that for a plinker gun, as long as you follow the directions available on arfcom closely and double check everything, that you will be able to assemble an AR. Granted, thats with out any cool match grade parts, but for a plinker? Why not build your own and save some money on it.

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

what you could do,have denny at http://global-tactical.com/ build you a sweet complete 6.8 upper.then just buy any lower you like.could be complete or stripped.then slap those bitches togther.
    since you`ll be mainly using it for hunting,i wouldnt worry bout a kickass trigger system.so just about any LPK will work
    the only thing that turns me away from the 6.5 is,lack of commercial ammo.you have A.A. and wolf.unless you roll your own

17. johnson

johnson New Member

I'm not assembling my upper for the same reasons yar mentioned. I'd like to think that theres a lot more to it than just screwing some things together and have it be as good and reliable than a stock colt, lmt, noveske, etc.

One reason why ammo for 6.5 is scarce is because when you get a box of ammo, you KNOW it will work because it's built to the exact specs as it was intended.

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Ok, that is a point, I NEVER plan on assembling my own upper. The upper I feel isn't worth the time, especially for plinkers and the kinds of deals you can get these days on them.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Why go 6.8spc at all?

Build a standard .223 and take advantage of all the cheap parts out there. Also, ammo for .223 is cheaper/easier to find.

If you want to go hunting, buy some X's, load 'em up (or have someone do it for you) and get to killin' stuff.

6.8spc never really excited me much....

21. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I can no longer search Ranger, But I made a post here awihle back basicly comparing 6.5 G, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x59 , 5.56 etc etc

and hands down the 6.5 G is the best performing round, I had balistic gel shots, drift charts, impact energy, frag comparrisons etc etc, search for it it may very well sway you from 6.8 because IMO 6.5 does everything 6.8 does and then some, just better.

22. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

.223 / 5.56 are varment rounds, shooting anything but paper with them should be considered cruel and inhumane. The one gripe I have with the Military is its adoption of a piss poor varment round and sending troops into battle with it touting it as a man killer.

I hope you don't take offence Ranger because I respect what you do, but that really chaps my ass.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Personally I'm still not convinced that 6.8 doesn't offer more wounding potential than 6.5 so I think you've made a great choice. Either one would be a sure winner over 5.56 though. Kotonics is a great choice when it comes to picking an upper, or at least the barrel. If you look elsewhere I think you'd want a 1/11 twist rate and a Murray chamber.

24. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Wait a second, you have the name "Ranger-AO" and you don't know about the AR15/m16 and you're asking a message board about 6.8? Seriously guy I know some Rangers over in the 3rd that would love to sink their teeth into your ass. Why don't you ask the high speed motherfuckers what their opinions are. Hope they don't train your ass for too long.

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You're joking, right?