need some advice from the professionals....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by xxpanipuri, Jul 31, 2006.

1. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

the car
    my wife's 2000 vw jetta - black.

other than washing it and waxing it (at a local car wash shop)
    not much else has been done to the car to take care of it

i have the porter cable now with an orange light cutting pad and the grey finishing pad.

I'd like to see if anyone can give me some ideas on how to fix this car and make it AS swirl /scratch free as possible.

now i understand some of the scratches MAY not come out if they are gone thru the paint but most of them seem like they can be taken out with the right products...

the products i have are.

optimum compound
    optimum polish
    meguiars light cut swirl remover #7 i believe
    optimum spray wax
    nxt tech wax.
    mothers clay wax

i'm thinking of washing it and claying at the same time which i HOPE will remove alot of the white specks in the paint! :)

then if i go over the entire car with a swirl remover (listed above) and orange light cutting pad on my PC and if THAT doesn't work should i step up to a more abrasive polish and keep the same product OR step up to a more abrasive product and keep the same pad?????

or by looking at the pics can you tell me which would work best (or at least get me started in the right direction) i'd like to stick with what i have above...if i have to buy 1-2 more new products (something other than what i have) then i'll do that :)....

also if i TOUCH up some of the small chips on the hood how would i do that?

1) would i do that b4/after detailing...

2) do i put on one coat to fill the gap and then another coat to go over that to make it look smoother???

the wife wants to get the car repainted i keep telling her its not necessary cuz i can probably get most of these marks/swirls out...

i hope i can! :)

anyways here are the pics some were taken b4 the car was washed BUT in those u can really see the swirl marks better because of the angle of the sun!

also there is a bit of orange peel on the car which is not a big deal i'd rather just concentrating on making the car look as good as possible with my pc and combo of products :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xxpanipuri

okay just re-read some of the stickies...and this line answers one of my questions...

Always start with a medium grade polish and a polishing pad and step up the aggressiveness of the polish before moving up to a cutting pad.

by looking at this car do you think it requires stepping up to the hyper compound? or will the swirl remover and/or the optimum compound do the trick???

3. xxpanipuri

anyone? :)

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I would say that as bad as that is you would want to wash it then clay it. Get the orange pad out and use the Opti Compound. Spread it on the pad then take while the PC is off and spread it on the car. Start out at a speed of 4 for about 20 seconds working in 2'x2' area then kick it up to speed 6 and move in an overlapping pattern about half the width of the pad per second. You will need to work each area in very good. Buff it off with a MF and see how it looks. If most of the defects are gone, move to the next area, if not, hit it again. You may need to do this 2-3 times.

After you have done that step down to a polishing pad and a finer polish and do the whole car. Once done then you can seal it with whatever you choose.

Now if you are applying touch up paint that is going to take a day or two because you need to let it dry. Do a Google search on methods to apply touch up paint. Whatever you do do not use that brush that comes with it, you will need to go to a art store and get a fine brush to apply the paint or it will gob all over the place.

Read this thread:
    http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2965

I just woke up and I am too lazy to spell check so sorry for any typos.

5. Paulie Walnuts

The swirling is pretty bad so if the Opti Compound isnt working go to a auto parts store and get some 3M stuff, they sell a good aggressive product it just dusts like mad. I dont care for the Opti line myself so why wait for it to be shipped with you can run to Pep Boys or Checker or the likes of.

6. xxpanipuri

i have some of the 3m rubbing compound i used it on my camry to remove some paint that had rubbed onto my mirrors from the garage door...that shit dusts like a mo fo!

that stuff worked great and came off pretty quickly....

is the 3m rubbing compound about as aggressive or more aggressive than the optimum stuff?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  7. Paulie Walnuts

You do not want to use a rubbing compound with a machine. Too aggressive. I think its more aggressive.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, with rock hard VW clear, you are going to probably have to get very aggressive initially. What you can probably pick up locally is Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. It has been reformulated for PC use now instead of just rotary. It is a bit more aggressive than Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Compound, probably on par with Optimum Hyper Compound. I haven't used enough 3M stuff to make any recommendations.

9. xxpanipuri

okay thanks i'll probably just get the optimum hyper compound IF i can't find the #2 fine cut cleaner locally...

i'm thinking either of the products you mentioned should work with the lake country orange light cutting pad....i shouldn't need a more abrasive pad....from everything i've read in the stickies etc etc..seems as though a more abrasive pad is used for REALLY bad paint...

is it a good or bad thing that the vw clear is so hard?? i've heard you mention this in other threads...

10. xxpanipuri

just ordered the optimum hyper compound with a yellow cutting pad and 2 grey finishing pads...

probably won't use the yellow cutting pad unless I REALLY need to but we maybe buying an older car from a friend for my father in law so i can clean it up using the more abrasive pad!