Need serious help here, im stessing out! ASAP!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Mar 23, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well i have a really really hard decision to make here. I dont know which way to make it at all though. To break it down a bit. I work full time, at a job where im miserable. I just watch the clock and hope it goes by quick. I do security for a store that doesnt have carmeras so i basically walk around 8 hours a day in circles, it is really really really slow this time of year.

I go to college, part time at night taking 2 classes for now. I have everythign planned for the detailing business such as supplies, brochures equipment etc. All i have to do, is put it all in the truck and start advertising.

Now it is the hard part. my truck is almost paid off, have like 2k left on it, and overally i have about 3500 hundred saved in the bank. Working full time, and doing detailing seems impossible. I would have to schedule on my days off, and then the weather will play a factor, and then is that convient to the customer.

Should I find a part time job, and do detailing on the side? It seems like detailing can be very sportatic in work to get a income.

Should i notify my current company I can only work part time, or just apply for part time somewhere else then leave? I dont know I should do to make sure im financially stable.

At first my concept was to actualy quit the job all together, get my butt out there and advertise day and night and get the jobs,but it may not happen like this. I really am so confused on what to do to survive. My total bills for myself are about 700 hundred dollars a month. This will decrease in half by septemeber once the truck is paid off for.

Im so determined to do the detailing business, but so confused as well. It seems like if i keep working full time, there is no possible way i can detail, i will be way to worn out and beat up. I dont have a established customer base, so this is my first year starting out most likely the hardest year. It is like a chance if i get customers or do not get enough. My mind is going all ways with this. And say i get calls from like 5 people, i willl have to blow some off cause it would confilict with a work schedule i have.

What should i do????? Any help well appreciated!!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I quit my full time job as a Denny's manager and took a part-time night job as a waiter at another Denny's while I got my detailing business going....all as a single parent (I had primary custody) with a 5 and 7 year old.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I love Denny's :cool:

4. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

quamen:

DON'T PANIC! :big grin: You will be fine.

Think of it this way. The weather is warming up...61* in CT on Friday (says weather.com) . I would start taking some marketing classes at college. They help a LOT to give you a great perspective on target markets, promotional mixes, marketing mixes, etc. Apply that info you learn to your business, but for now a business cards and flyers should be fine. Possibly a rear windshield decal as well.

As far as your current employment. You should be doing something you love. For me, detailing has been the highest paying job I have had to date. Either quit the rent a cop job or do it part time. Think about waiting tables or bartending at night. They make good money and usually start after the sun goes down, which would leave plenty of time to detail.

Other than that, keep refining your detailing skills from Autopia.org You should also work on selling your services to different places. A business card is easy to throw out there, but it really counts when you personal sell. Go into a business district and get your name out there. Throw out some deals at first to get your name out there.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.

-Sean

5. Scottwax

Sean is right. If you follow your passion, the money will follow provided you put in the effort.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

:wavey: The internet is a small place. (I'm Corey from Autopia)

7. Scottwax

:rofl: I am Scottwax everywhere.....

Lots of OT guys on Autopia now. :)

8. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

id say you should work part time, test the waters, see what kind of business you get on your own and see if its worth it.

9. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

id also suggest taking whats in your savings account and paying off the principal in full, no need paying the bank money that you could save for yourself. think about it

10. quamen

quamen New Member

My final decision has come down to this after thinking about it a long time. I cant stand my job working during the day from like 10-7 so my whole day is shot. My car is almost paid off for, so i dont need to work 40 hours a week anymore. Im going to do detailing and if it doesnt pick up to like 2 cars a week or so, im just going to get a night job like bartending or tablewaiting.

11. RedGoober4Life

No no no NO NO. :nono: :nono: I am an Autopian that's on OT now. Autopia is one one and only true home.

I'm the king! :wiggle:

12. Scottwax

Except for detailing information, OT > Autopia. It really isn't even close. ;)

13. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

i've made so much money doing detailing than i ever would working for someone else. I do detailing less than part time. I made 150 bucks doing 2 cars in one day and that will last time a couple of weeks. Sometimes i get really busy during the week and work on a car each day.

I am putting school first than detailing. Detailing just gives me spending money on stuff, and pay a bill. :wiggle:

14. RedGoober4Life

Ehhh they're so horribly different they really don't compare, but if I had to chose one over the other I would take Autopia hands down.

15. Scottwax

Meh. No pr0n or dirty jokes on Autopia though. Probably not the appropriate forum for it, but they should relax the rules a bit in the Hot Tub. :sad2: