Need Routine Advice v.HeartHealth

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by HvkSndrn, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HvkSndrn

HvkSndrn New Member

So this week I'm going to workout with my older brother at a BodyPlex he's been going to in order to try and get him a little more motivated into it all and help him out in terms of what exercises to do and proper form and just to have a lifting buddy.

About a year ago he had almost died of a heart attack and has been trying to exercise more frequently and get his diet back in line with what he needs. Problem is he's deviated from his diet and has the lifting knowledge of a freshman in high school (bench press 5 days a week). I'm working on him with the exercise part while his wife is working on the diet part.

For the better part of the workout we will be doing cardio, but being guys I want to be able to incorporate some weight lifting into the routine as well. He's under doctor's orders not to particularly strain himself exercising, but still I want to show him some stuff to do to at least get some more definition going on and to add some variety to his workout so he's not just trudging along an elliptical the whole time.

Since we will be doing more time on a treadmill than with weight, should I incorporate more compound movements in what we do to hit more muscles at once or stick with some sort of "aerobic circuit" type machine-based weight training?

Also if anyone has any input or experience regarding a situation like this I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

EDIT: Should've added that he's 35 years old, about 6'0, and right now probably at ~250-260lbs.

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

if he's in questionable shape heart wise I would go with machine circuit training.

3. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

just go light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.