Need recommendation on Alpine MP3/CD Player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by newport, Feb 29, 2004.

1. newport

newport New Member

I currently have a Clarion DRX9375R head unit with the DPH9300 Processor. I am looking to upgrade to a Alpine MP3/CD player. Does anyone have any personal experiences with them? Which ones are really worth the money. If I don't need the top of the line, I don't want to pay for it.

2. johan

johan Active Member

I just got an Alpine 9827. CD and MP3. So far, its pretty good. Very nice and clean looking. Tuner performance isn't that great, but Im looking into the antenna.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have the 7894(2 yrs old) and have installed or demoed most of last years and this years MP3 models. Knowing your budget and what features you want kinda helps but basically you can lump them into three groups:

1. Bass Engine- Basically just bass and treble control, but you can adjust the freq (and width of bass adjustment).

2. Bass Engine Plus - adds 4 channel digital time correction and a 2 way, 3 position 12dB/oct crossover to above.

3. Bass Engine Pro - steps up to 6 channel digital time correction (adds correction for sub) and a 2way/3 way, 1/3 oct stepped adjustable slope(6, 12,18, 24 dB/oct) crossover. Bass and Treble controls are replaced by a 5 band parametric EQ.

In between the diff models with each Bass Engine type differences are pretty much limited to bells and whistles (ability to store TC settings, better display, etc).

4. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

How is the load time for the mp3 tracks? I've heard some will pause a few seconds between tracks. Is this true even for consecutive tracks, or is it just when you skip around?

5. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

I'd say get a higher end one with the Bass Engine Pro. The time correction makes a huge difference in sound quality.

6. KriZZeaM

KriZZeaM New Member

i got 9811a and its great.

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The track switching delay isnt bad on my Alpine and its two years old. You cant play a mix CD cut into MP3's and have it transitition smoothly, but in general you really cant tell the difference. Initial load time is a bit greater, but its still not bad. The newer units are faster too.

Bass Engine Plus has time correction too and isnt so hard to tweak as Pro (specifically the EQ)