Need recommendation for SFF PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gameson, Sep 16, 2007.

1. gameson

gameson New Member

I want to build new PC with small form factor. Reason, space savings. The only one I know is Shuttle. I am eyeing their SG33G5 system, but of course, open with any other system.

My requirement for this system is simple
    1. small form factor
    2. HDTV OTA and DVR capable
    3. Budget total is US$1000 (just PC as I already have LCD, wireless keyboard and mouse, and speakers)

That's it.

This is what I believe would be good for years to come
    1. Shuttle SG33G5
    2. Intel E6550
    3. 2x1 GB Kingston DDR2-800 MHz (PC2-6400) HyperX
    4. Standard DVD writer with SATA
    5. Standard 250 GB SATA HD
    6. Undecided Video Card

What do you think?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I don't see them as being such space savers.
    They're wider than a normal case.
    And unless you plan on stacking stuff on top of the case, the height sort of doesn't matter, no?

Cooling tends to be iffy on those case, on the lower to mid end.

I think you can do a mid tower case with a micro atx board for the same or less than one of those.
    And if you happen to be on right now and see this, you could jump on the Alienware case with 700 watt power supply for $95 shipped from
    www.woot.com right now.
    Their deals have a habbit of selling out before noon the next day, so I would advise you to jump on one while you can.
    I just got one for myself not 10 minutes ago.
    I figure the 700 watt power supply is worth the $95 by itself, not to mention the cool Alienware case.

3. gameson

gameson New Member

The thing is i don't have much space, and I will not stack anything on top of the PC. so it will just by itself.

I am going to compare the dimension on the shuttle vs the alienware case. :)

4. Doc Brown

That's what I'm trying to tell you. The shuttle is wider.
    And probably only 3 inches shorter. The only major difference is height.

5. gameson

gameson New Member

shuttle

310(L) x 200(W) x 185(H) mm

alienware

444 (L) x 191 (W) x 414 (H) mm

So the alienware area is a lot bigger. it's no go... :(

6. Doc Brown

It's too bad. The Alienware case was thinner on whatever shelf it was
    going to sit on. I guess it was too long?
    Either way, they're sold out now.

7. nLinked

nLinked New Member

I have a Thermaltake LANBOX. What a case! Space-saving it is, and the fans are hardly audible. I would take some pics but don't have my camera with me. It has a handle on the top so I carry it between my desktop and my big TV downstairs, and all the cables are pre-setup so I just plug-in and use.

I highly recommend one on my experience. I was thinking of getting a Shuttle since I've had so many Thermaltake cases in the past, but as soon as I saw this and read some reviews I'm super-pleased. The silver version's very light and less prone to scratching than the black one (different metals used).

I really want to show pictures but can't right now. It has a bright light on the top (my own) and you can see through from both side windows. A 7" retractable drive bay is available for an on-the-move LCD display so you don't even need a bulky monitor while out. I don't have it but it's good if you need to take your system to a friend's house whose limited in space yet you want your full PC there.

They have released more models but I think the original LANBOX is best. I got mine for £54 when it just came out, about $108 at the time. Check them here: http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/miniCase/minicase_index.asp.

A review is here: http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/38443/?spage=2