need recommendation for RAM upgrade please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaRkPhAnToM, Oct 5, 2005.

1. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

i currently have 2 512 sticks of OCZ PC3200 Value (OCZ4001024WV3DC-K), the ones with the good chips on them. this is on a dfi lanparty nforce 4 ultra-d and san diego 3700+. i want 2gb of ram. should i grab 2 more 512 sticks of the same ram or do you reccomend 2 1gb sticks of ram. what's really good, pretty decent priced ram that you would reccomend if i went the 2 1gb stick route?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

OCZ fan here as well, and I suggest 2*1GB sticks. There Gold series are good, but not really for intense overclocking. Mine will do 260 1:1 2-2-2-5, but i think that's the max. I would personally rather have faster MHz out of them then tighter timings. It's the 1GB PC3500 GX kit that im speaking of.

If you arent worried about overclocking or top performance, then the Value series is fine. But how much are you looking to spend? $200-300 i would suggest for a nice kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

thanks for the reply. multiple people reccomended these. what do you think of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

As I said on AIM, I had the 512MB version of that kit heehee. they are alot older of course, but same DC Platinum 2-3-2-5 2.6V PC3200, jsut smaller and with diff chips i believe. Couldn't have been happier with them, thye now run in my GF's computer, since i won better OCZ RAM's in a contest a month or so ago. should be better than the Value's, and provide decent overclocking.

5. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

Bumping an old thread :O

Is there a significant performance reason to upgrade to 2x1gb sticks instead of adding 2 more 512mb sticks? I currently have 2x512mb of Corsair XMS PC3200 looking to upgrade to 2gb.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

The downside to 4*512MB is that if for w/e reason you decided you wanted more RAM later on, you'd be kinds screwed as you're out of DIMM slots. You'd have to sell the current RAM and then replace it, or just not use some of it.

Also, the more individual sticks, the more chance of 1 of them not wanting to be compatible. Larger sticks tend to be harder to overclock sometimes, but i don't buy that as a fact or anything.

it's really preference from what i can tell. sme mobo's don't like filling up on RAM, others have no problems.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Whatever you buy, get RAM without the heatsinks on them. Then buy a set of copper heatsinks, coat them with silver-based thermal goop, and put them on the RAM you bought. It'll work great and you'll be able to overclock the hell out of them.

NOTE: the clip-on heatsinks only work on RAM that has microchips on both sides of the board. Otherwise the RAM will be too thin for the heatsink to fit onto.

8. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

9. Seiz

Seiz ヽ(´ー`)┌

dont mix 2 diffrent types of ram. and makes sure you get the right pin set