Need recomendations for sound deadening

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], Oct 6, 2005.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

For automotive, basically its not for improving the system responce.

I am looking for a way to decrease road noise exhaust drone and engine noise in the cabin.

BTW this is for a 2003 dodge ram 3500 dioesel.

recomendations and personal experiance with these are best

thanks for yoy help

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I don't have personal experience, but I think the best option (from reading other's experiences) would be to use a combination of carpet padding material, which is specifically designed for sound insulation, as well as a product like e-dead or dynamat.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

carpet padding isnt anything special, i had some in my mustang and got rid of it, tacmat is like twice as thick if not more.

4. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

see, I am looking for some sound deadening products as well, preferrably cheaper than dynamat. I want to quiet down my '03 CR-V, but don't want to spend $1000 on dynamat, not to mention add 800lbs to it. If thats my only choice, I'd spend $400 and buy a ton of FatMat.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

dynamat isnt very expensive if you use e-bay

b-quiet makes some sound reducer as well www.b-quiet.com

I bought a big roll of sound deadener (the thinner sheet kind) from www.raamaudio.com, the owner is pure awesome, great customer service

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  6. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

same prices as fatmat, and kinda looks like the same stuff too...

Thats what i'm thinkin i'm gonna go with... How did you like the stuff you bought Ronin? Is it light? It doesn't look as heavy as dynamat.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

dynamat is a little thicker, the price differences turned me off on dynamat compared to raamat though.

i own all of these sound deadeners:

Tac Mat
    Dynamat Xtreme
    RAAMat
    eDead v.3

As far as stuff like Raamat and dynamat xtreme its all just goo and aluminum to me :dunno: If you want any extra adhesiveness, you can get extreme hold spray adhesives for fairly cheap if u feel insecure about the bond. I dont think a few mils of thickness is going to make that much of a difference in a properly installed set up, unless you have some sort of measuring equipment etc etc.

8. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

so you think raamat is comparable to dynamat xtreme? I will probably use additional adhesive, as I just always have... even with dynamat... But I plan on eventually deadening the entire vehicle floor to ceiling. I think the doors & ceiling will be the big improvements though...

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i can set some raamat ontop of a piece of dynamat xtreme and take a pic if ud like :dunno:

id have to do that tomorrow tho since i dont have a digi cam

the floor is pretty important, this where a lot of the road noise comes from, do a layer of regular sound deadener then do a padding layer over that, adhesision is less important here as well

then what id to is go over everything else, doors trunk ceiling etc with regular sound deadener, use liquid for hard to reach places and round everything out so everything is super sealed. add additional sound deadening and padding where you see fit. (ie you are getting a shit ton of wind noise on the free way, get a couple cans of adhesive and throw up some padding on ur ceiling)

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

addition for thread starter:

like i was saying a lot of that road noise comes from ur floors so get the floors extra good. id say do ur firewall areas as well but on a newer truck like that itd most likely be one big pain in the ass.

hoodliners are supposed to reduce engine noise as well although i cant speak from personal experience as how ive never used one.

Not sure how much wind noise you get :dunno: if u get a lot throw some padding up on the celing 2 if ur going for the completely quiet feel for your cabin.

depends on how much u wanna spend, u can make an ultra quiet interior or just cut a few dbs off the noise

11. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

My CRV has an OEM Hoodliner... And I dont notice much in the engine noise area...

Maybe i'll start with the floor... I know for vibration reduction, in my civic I used rubberized undercoating. didn't do much for sound deadening, but eliminated 80-90% of my bass rattles...

12. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If it eliminated rattles then it deadened. I think you mean it didn't insulate. The thread starter is mainly looking for sound insulation which will block road noises, whereas sound deadening eliminates rattles and changes the natural resonant frequency of the panels as well as reduces reflections which makes the car lean more towards anechoic.

13. Bomber166

Bomber166 New Member

14. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

I'm thinkin eDead v1 is gonna be the way to go!!

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ftw

16. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

hmmm.... :dunno: