WEB Need osCommerce help: discount/coupon module

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by THT, Jun 24, 2009.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'd like to be able to offer discount/coupon codes for use with my webstore which is based on osCommerce. I googled and found this: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4269

I passed that on to the guy who's building my site and he said it would overwrite alot of existing files and destroy work that's already been done; does anyone have any suggestions for other coupon modules that would work with osCommerce?

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

tell him to make it work :o

what are you paying him for if he aint trying to do shit

3. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Should've gone with Magento from the start.

OsCommerce is obsolete.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Most of the work to the site is already done and it doesn't make sense to redo it all.

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

If he's saying that about one module, another module will likely yield the same problem. There aren't that many different ways to do it

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Man, Magento has a shitton of potential but jesus christ it needs some documentation :o

7. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

True. I had to figure most shit out by wading through other people's issues on their forums. :o

8. LowClass

LowClass New Member

It wont break anything, he is an idiot. OSC isnt obsolete, the base is still a good framework. now if you have any type of stock layout you are def obsolete.

9. LowClass

LowClass New Member

I could care less about what people here think about you. If you can't incorporate the coupon module... you do not know what you are doing. Or are too lazy to properly configure the site.

10. LowClass

LowClass New Member

BTW that is my asshole reply, i could have been a bit nicer, maybe you are new to it. but if the site is configured and coded correctley there should be no interference what-so-ever.

11. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

OSC is a huge pos. Mostly every little module or bs change you add on has to be integrated to a shitload of files or just wiped over completely.

12. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

im interested to see what actual problem your coder is running into.

i've done a few highly customizable OSC websites and always managed away around things. nothign ever really with the checkout modules though

13. LowClass

LowClass New Member

yup peices just need to be integrated. But compare that to custom software where it has to be hand coded in. Ovbiously it's not up with the times as far as plug-in's go. but thats not to say that its not going to work at all like the original poster suggested.

14. LowClass

LowClass New Member

?? The payment page is a form that passes the data through the module. the coupon codes affect the pricing fields not the payment data. Well good luck, i hope your client is happy with your answer.

15. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Should've started with zencart from the get-go. :o

It's from the same people and is basically the same framework excluding all the bs.

16. LowClass

LowClass New Member

if anything people starting out should use newer systems then that. interspire and gigacart come to mind. There are tons out now. but it need not stop there. alot of ecommerce folks slack on site design which is the most important. Oh well i wont get into it here but my main deal is e-commerce.

17. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Are you making changes on the front end site? meaning you have no replicopy in a back folder to test things out? if so, i suggest that be the first thing you do. on the sale root it will use the same database but you could also mirror that as well. then test it till it works and go from there. I would never make changes to a live site.

18. LowClass

LowClass New Member

I know most of the OSC contribs come packaged in a way with a read me that tells you where to place, you just have to figure in where it needs to go with the modifications. It will probably not break anything, but yes, backup copy with noindex/no archive tags is a must.

19. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Could've used that a few months ago. Would've been really nice if they had something more on their site. Even their install instructions were 2 years out of date, not to mention some of the other shit.