need opinions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Jan 8, 2003.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

okay...i have a hatchback 5.0, as many of you know theres not much room for subs...at all. I am on a budget since i am redoing this thing also. I have a D2...so i have plenty of power. I like ported boxes just cuz they are alot louder. I cant hear enough sq diff between ported and sq to make me wanna switch to a sealed. So heres my dilema. I either want 4 10s or so that will not exceed 200 in price, i hear 01420 or w/e it is talk about daytons all the time. Im willing to go with 4 sealed..or one or 2 ported subs. I dont mind if its used either. the box on ported cant really be more than 5 c/ft. I dont want a max either...since 90% of this board would say that.

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, its going to be extremely hard to find any speakers for 200 dollars that can handle close to 2kW. But, you said dayton's might work, Parts Express just came out with these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=295-550&DID=7

You could probably do 3, but that would cause you to have an impedence below 2ohms. I dunno if the D2 will work well with that or not.

3. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

i dont think so, but idk 1.66 ohms isnt real far off from 2ohms, but i really dont need to fry it again. We could bump the stakes up a little to say 250? I want to be running at 2 ohms...cuz my amp makes a shitload more power at 2 instead of 4. I can always leave the amp all the way down also. So i might not be pushing 2k into it. Actually its an old school dhc200 which i saw was rated at 3000rms on some website that a kid put together that had a few of those amps, so i duno if its acturate....I can get 2 shocker 12s for 150 bucks. I might do those, but i have no idea how loud they will be in a sealed box.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

in theory you will lose 3db i think form a sealed to a ported but a sealed may actualy be louder through most of the range jsut lacks a large peak

5. 04

04 Guest

depending on the alignment, the vented enclosure doesnt have to have any peak, it just extends lower in frequency before half power.