Need Opinions...What is wrong w/ the Computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LBZ, Jan 12, 2004.

1. LBZ

LBZ Not Me = Not a problem

Ok, in the middle of playing a video game last night my computer just shut down - no warnings, nothing. Just as if someone had unplugged it. I didn't have any other problems with anything else (everything else stayed on), and the computer is on a surge protector (which didn't trip).

When I tried to turn it back on - nothing. If I turn off the power switch in the back then flip it on, then hit the on/off on the front the CD light will flash - then nothing. I'm thinking that my power supply went south... any ideas on that? Or, anything else? Thanks.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you don't hear the power supply (PSU, power supply unit) fan kick in when you try to power it up, then more than likely the PSU is dead.

If the mobo or the cpu was fired, the PSU should still work....it did when my mobo died out.

3. LBZ

That is along the lines of what I was thinking... I think I have a spare Power Supply floating around, guess I'll test that theory tonight... :x:

4. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

My Athlon 64 FX system died like that one day but I was just talkin to a friend online...took it all apart kept trying stuff to no avail then two days later I tried turning the mobo on again and the fans fired up, put it back together and its been fine since...go figure, damn computers.

5. LBZ

Hmmm...well I pulled the power supply and replaced it with a new one and...nothing. It looks like the motherboard is getting power (light on the board lights up), the CPU fan tries to spin, but stops.... am I looking at a motherboard issue?

When I connected the Power Supply I ran it just to the motherboard, as well as having everything connected (I also removed the Video Card, and Modem...) Thoughts?

6. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

wait, the power supply may have just crowbared
    just open up the computer, unplug EVERYTHING except the mobo and try to turn it on a couple of times.

7. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

wait, i just read teh last post. The thing tries to spinn u say but then stops? There may be a short circut somwhere and teh power supply senses it and stops. buy a cheep tester.

8. DevlynSyde

DevlynSyde New Member

Amazing, I am having the exact same issue that happened doing the same thing, gf ran a game left for a few and bam, power is down. I've pulled everything but the CPU and RAM and still no boot. Same thing, the fan starts to spin about 1/8 a rotation then stops and nothing. Please post if you find the answer for your situation.

9. DevlynSyde

DevlynSyde New Member

Bump for morning?

10. LBZ

Well, here is where I am at... unplugged EVERYTHING...nada. Tried 3 different power supplies...nothing. Ordered a new motherboard, received yesterday...got CPU and fan installed, got lazy and didn't finish. Hopefully, I'll have it up tomorrow.