Need opinions on my future pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mastermojo, Jun 28, 2004.

1. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail - $219
    Asus P4P800SE Motherboard - $94
    Sony MPF920 Floppy Drive - $11
    Thermaltake WOO14 480W Power Supply - $56
    Antec Plusview1000AMG SOHO File Server Case - $65 (I want the aluminum version but can't find it anywhere)
    Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM WD1200JD SATA Hard Drive - $100
    Corsair 1GB (2 512mb dual channel 400mhz pc3200 sticks) VCSGBKIT400-$195
    Lite-ON SOL-8235 Double Layer DVD Burner - $100 w/ Nero 6 and PowerDVD 5
    Lexmark X5150 Printer/Scanner/Copier - $94
    All I need is a Vid Card and Monitor - I want the best 19" Flat Screen CRT and the best video card I can get for $500-$600...any suggestions.
    This doesn't include mouse,kb,fans, and cables.
    :bigthumb:

2. Spugster

Spugster Guest

Nice! Although I would suggest getting a nice Gigabyte moboard (although more expensive) to compliment the P4 3.0E! :p, but that's just me...

If your looking for a good video card, you're probably better off going with something like a radeon 9800/Pro or (if you change moboard to a new one with the new PCI-X) then a X600 or higher (although price range at this time will probably be higher then desirable).

3. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Looks nice, but I'd stay away from ATI Radeons unless you want trouble with drivers every day. :ugh:

4. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

I have almost the same setup. I'm partial to nvidia off the bat and from what i hear they will be better then the radeons as they release newer drivers.

Nvidia 6800 GT

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
    Asus P4P800SE Motherboard
    Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Hitachi Deskstar 60 GB 7200
    Western Digital 40 GB 8MB 7200
    Kingston 1GB (2 512mb dual channel 400mhz pc3200 sticks)
    Plextor PX-708A DVD Burner - $100 w/ Nero 6 and PowerDVD 5
    2 19" Sony Trinitrons

5. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

Ok, after looking at gigabyte mobos on newegg, I saw this one for almost the same price as my Asus one.
    GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
    Now I just can't decide if I want the onboard Raid and 1xWifi port on the Asus, or the 2x1394 slots and 8 channel audio codec as opposed to the 6 channel on the Asus. Which board is better? Also, the Asus has hyper-path for the RAM and the Gigabyte has dual BIOS.

6. lordbean

lordbean Guest

ATI drivers being faulty is a myth. I have a Radeon 9700 pro using the Omega Catalyst 4.5 drivers and have yet to have any form of trouble, and I play a wide variety of games.

7. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

bump, need help choosing...

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'd suggest a Seagate SATA 160GB drive instead of the WDSE 120gb.

9. Spugster

Spugster Guest

Nah, you should go for two Seagate SATA 80GB (or 120GB as they are not much more then an 80) and then RAID 0 them for faster performance.

10. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

almost there!
    in fact, i think you should go with 2 Western Digital SATA Raptors. They're the next fastest HD after going SCSI and run at 10k rpms. RAID 0 them bitches and u're flying. thats what i did :o

11. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Same here. Love it. Apps actually seem to open quicker with the striped 10K SATA drives than on my old work machine that had striped U320 15K SCSI drives. :bigthumb:

I can vouch for the ATI wackiness. I tried one of their cards a few months ago with the latest release drivers and had problems getting a couple of games to work. I'm sticking with NVidia.

Also, have you considered an Athlon64 system?

12. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

sorry, I have been gone.
    Yes I have considered an Athlon64 system but from what I have heard from benchmarks and whatnot I still want to stick with Intel. While HD space may be a big issue for most of you, I plan on saving money by just getting my one HD and partitioning to two 60 gig halves, one for progs and the other for games. That will be all the space I need. Also, since I won't need raid I'll probly go with the Gigabyte mobo.

13. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:ughd:

Maybe a couple years ago.

14. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Don't forget, benchmarks are being done with 32-bit versions of the OS. Once XP for 64-bit is released, the Athlon64 should have a definite advantage.

15. tau

tau Guest

I also considered this when building my computer over the past month, but in the long run, I decided an XP3200+ would be more practical at the moment (price + usagewise) for a college student such as myself. If I had gone for the A64 system, I wasn't gonna skimp out and rather would've spent too much for a Socket 939/940 setup instead of the 754.

Also, concerning the SATA setup, I've got 2x80GB Seagate Barracudas (7200rpm, however) in a RAID 0 config and have been pleased so far. Next summer, the A64 + 2x160GB 10k+rpm SATA drive system will be swapped in. :x: