Need opinions on 15" subs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Aug 4, 2005.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Im a trance, rap listener. Would a 15" be good for that type of music? Im actually looking at the '05 Type R. Looking to put it in a 3.0-4.0 cubed ported enclosure tuned low. Not exactly sure yet. This is going to be going in my crx (daily driver). Oh and one reason I'm looking at the R is because I can get it for $200 off ebay, plus there's been a lot of hype about the '05 versions lately.

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I would rather get a 12w3v2.

3. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Well I have 2 12w6v2's in my weekend car, but since my daily driver is a crx and I have a lot more room to work with, I was thinking about a 15. Plus I want it to be loud, louder than my w6's. My choices at the moment is either going to be a 15 rl-p, av15, or a 15 '05 Type R. They all cost about the same and doesnt take too much power to power them.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

A 12w6v2 is probally louder and cleaner than a Type-R, but it cost more doesn't it?

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Why would you downgrade to a Type R from a w6v2? Why are you running two of them? I'd just take one of them out of the weekend car and put it in the CRX with a powerful amp.

6. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Yes the w6 is, and they are a lot more expensive than the Type-R.

Well I dont really want to go out and spend another $3-400 on a 12 when I can get a 15" for about $200 give or take. And that was my first idea, it was to put one of my w6v2's in the rex, but knowing that honda's get stolen a lot and get broken into easliy, I crossed that option out. I've been hearing a lot of good reviews about the '05 R's, even though their SQ isnt up to par with the w6v2's, its cheap, doesnt take a lot of watts to move them, and if it does get stolen I wouldnt care as much as if my jl's did.

7. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I actually wired up a 15inch type R on a Digital designs M1 on monday. It was in a 93 civic hb, and he listens to the same type of music. The sub played very well, but it wasn't as quick as I would have hoped for when he started playing the dance stuff. When it came to rap though, that thing was LOUD. The box was tuned at 30hz.

Oh, and no rear seat obviously.

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thank you for answering my question. 15" Type R it is. What were the specs on his box?

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Ended up being close to 3.5ft³ and the port was tuned to 30Hz. We had to make sure make sure we didn't screw up, since we were on our last sheet of MDF :rofl:

10. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks!@

11. JDub

JDub New Member

I used to listen to trance (deep house now) and I had a round 15" solobaric and I found that it was too laggy to listen to dance type of stuff. A ported box might make it sound even messier if it's not built exactly right.

I loved how the solobaric sounded on other stuff though. I use a round 10" CompVR now in a 1.1 cu ft sealed box, but I kept the 15" just cause I love it so much :hs: I would definately go with a smaller sub if you listen to dance music though. If you want output, add more subs.

12. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Yeah you're right. Im going to go with 2 12" type r's in ported enclosure tuned low. The price should be the same as a 15".

13. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

i have a adire audio tempest, sounds great in a large ported box the cost 150 new better than the JLs also

14. fpt

fpt New Member

Yup, Tempests are awesome subs' for the money (but I don't know if Adire Audio changed up the prices for their '05 product line)...they get loud and nasty low with a great price.

The Sound Splinter RL-p is a good choice...look into the Resonant Engineering SX 15's - can't go wrong with RE quality.

Oh yeah, with Ascendant Audio, did Chad re-tool all the subs' with the new motor technology? Last I heard, they discontinued using XBL^2 as there was a conflict of interests.

15. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

That was my first woofer! Great choice. I had a Kicker 600.1 going to it in it's SubZero 1.8 cu/ft. sealed box and I never heard it skip a beat or lag (drum n bass/trance/house listener). I was amazed how it kept up with the drum n bass. I didn't think a 15" would work.

I was greedy and turned the gain up too loud (along with cranking bass boost to the max) and ending up frying one of the voice coils. I needed to replace it and mistakenly thought any sub would do the job.

When I went shopping at the local stereo shop, the guys scolded me from buying off the net and they never heard of Adire Audio before (red flag?). I wanted to go with MA Audio but they suggested I would be much happier with a Kicker CompVR. After a week, I had to take my car back because I could tell the bass wasn't as deep. I wanted to exchange for a different sub but they told me to let the sub break-in for another week. I just convinced myself that the bass sounded good (it sounded GOOD but not GREAT like the Tempest) and never brought up another issue.

Fast-forward two years to the present and I am now giving the Kicker to a close friend. The person is very happy to have the 15 and thinks it sounded awesome in my old car. Too bad she never got to hear my Tempest in the same setup for a fair comparison.