GUN Need opinions.....AR-15 folks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wholefnshow, Feb 22, 2008.

1. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

not bad at all
    i`de buy it

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Not a fan of the 5.5 flash hiders, but if that doesn't bother you then go ahead.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pretty shitty, if you ask me. Get an A2 receiver with a detachable carry handle. Get a 14.5" barrel with pinned stock, or a 16" barrel. Heck if I was gonna do my AR over again I'd go with a midlength gas system, although carbine is okay.

5. Willie J

Willie J New Member

middy crew holla

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Colt 6920, LMT, or Noveske N4

7. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I'm going to have to say no because of the 11.5/5.5 barrel.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Agree, but he said he doesn't need the best :dunno:

9. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

Just another gun to take out to the range, throw an scope on, etc. Nothing special @ all.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My dislike for the a2 upper aside, that barrel + pinned hider is beyond dumb.
    http://www.colemantyler.com/proddetail.php?prod=RAR15A3CAR556DP from that dealer would be a much better choice.

Or of course there's the often linked to cmmg bargain bin. Or you could guy a dpms lower half from coleman tyler locally and order a stag upper from someone like rainier.

11. KIDRR

Get one of those bargain bin ones then

12. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

my cousin has that exact same rifle.it`s not realy bad at all.he payed 500$ used.
    but the link that soy posted would be a better choice for future upgrades and the like.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What's the point of getting a mediocre rifle if it's your only one? We're not talking Honda vs. Rolls Royce pricing here.

Stepping down, I would take Stag or RRA over DPMS, but DPMS will go bang as well as any of them. There's no point in getting an 11.5" barrel if you can't run it short or slap a suppressor on it. If you're not going to SBR register it, get a 16" or 14.5" with a perm brake to 16".

Whatever you get, be sure to check the carrier key and castle nut are staked.

14. KIDRR

You're not getting any argument out of me. Guy says he doesn't need the best we help him find not the best :hsd:

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

11.5'' with a permanent flash hider is stupid. At least get a 14.5'' with a hider welded on. Why anyone would get that is beyond me, unless they were planning to SBR it in the near future.

16. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I'm gonna have to agree w/ a lot of you, either a 14.5 or a 16 (i'd go w/ a 16 w/ a mid system), you're wasting a lot of space that could get you better performance for a little more cash

17. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

dont you need a class 3 for barrels under 16" ?

edit: nevermind i didnt notice the "5.5" fixed flash hider part"

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I personally would get a 16" barrel maybe with a removable flash hider rather than an 11.5 with a 5.5 hider.

19. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

16" middy ftw.
    If not 14.5 w/ flash hider as has been said.
    More reliable, less wear on the gas system due to lower operating pressure in the middy.
    Flat top, unless you KNOW you'll only ever want iron sights. Optics on carry handles make for a goofy chin weld.
    Also, although the collapsing is baller looking, a fixed stock makes for a more enjoyable shooting experience. (I got a collapsable stock for my first, so I get the attraction)

For brands: RRA or Stag have been good by me.

Good luck

20. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

That flash hider makes it look horrible

21. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

A2, meh.

22. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

I dont really know jack shit about anything you just said to be perfectly honest. I own a couple handguns & a hunting rifle...thats bout it:rofl: Kick me for being a n00b.

I do eventually want to put something like an Eotech optics on it. As far as flash hiders and all that other shit, I dont know a thing. I want something thats of descent quality, isnt going to fall apart, can take some abuse, and can fire 5.56 & 2.23.

With that being said, what are my options on a pre-built?

23. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

i would look at the M&P line i just got a M&P15T and i love it and to top it all off right now S&W had a $100 cash rebate runing on the M&P line

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I will build my 2nd AR. However, for a starter, I am happy with my MP15.

25. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

Cliffs on bottom.:)

Ok. Lets see if we can straighten ya out...
    The rifle you looked at had something like a 10.5" barrel (which the bullet moves down and accelerates after the shot. And a 5.5 inch flash hider, which baffles the gas and vents it in such a way to reduce the muzzle flash of the shot. The more barrel, the more velocity, therefor the more range. 5.56/223 has a wounding mechanism based on fragmentation of the bullet. It fragments around 2300FPS, if I recall correctly. what this comes down to is that if your barrel is 10.5 inches, you get about 45meters of fragmentation velocity, 14.5" about 100meters, and 20" gives you about 200m or so. These numbers might not be exact so don't crucify me if not 100%.

ETA: found the stats on fragmentation
    20" 200m
    16" 145m
    14.5 100m
    11.5 45mThese distances are to keep the bullet above 2700fps

Now, after you have chosen your barrel length...(I would choose 16" because of the velocity bonus without being cumbersome) you have to choose the gas system length. In a carbine/m4/short gas system, the handguard and gas tube are quite short. The length of the gas tube directly affects wear on the bolt as a result of the amount of pressure it sees. If the gas system is really short, the bullet, having just been fired 5 inches ago, has A LOT of pressure behind it and goes directly back into the bolt at the gas key. This shortens the life of a bolt and carrier by quite a bit (but honestly, probably not enough for the average weekend shooter). I like the midlength system because it proves to be more reliable and have a little more longevity.

Buy a chrome lined barrel/chamber because it aids in extraction of dirty cases and longevity of the barrel.

As for 5.56 and 223. Just chose one that shoots in 5.56, and the 223 will work fine. It has to do with pressure differences and a very slight case dimension difference.

unless you just LIKE the carry handle, get a flattop and a seperate bolt on carry handle or back up iron sight. I personally just have an iron sight on my rifle with a white light for home defense.

Brands to go with are RockRiverArms, S&W (might be a bit pricey, not sure your limit), CavalryArms, Stag, CMMG (one OT member just bought one, his post should be pretty recent) and some others. Other folks have luck with companies such as Model1 or other low end dealers, I personally would spend the extra 150-200 and get one that you know will work.

Fixed stocks are more comfortable to shoot, collapsing stocks make chicks wet.

CLIFFS:Get a 16" barrel/Midlength gas system or Carbine Gas system/Flattop/Buy quality so you're not frustrated:hsd:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008