Need Opinion On New PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by evh, Jul 7, 2004.

1. evh

evh Active Member OT Supporter

Jun 3, 2004
    Alright, well I just got paid for a very big job, plus sold a business, so I have some extra cash lying around. I haven't upgraded/bought a new PC within almost 5 years. I need a new PC. So, I was looking at newegg to buy all of the needed parts, and build it myself. Then I thought, how much more money would it be if I bought it from Well here's my specs:

From newegg:

Basically a P4 3.2 GHZ w/ HT system, 120 GB Harddrive, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, and DVD+-RW + CD+RW combo drive.

Case $43 -

Motherboard $111 -

RAM (512 x 2) Dual Channel $178 -

56K Modem $11.99 -

Lite-On Combo Drive (everything) $72.70 -

P4 3.2 ghz HT Processor $279 -

Sony Floppy Drive $10.99 -

120 GB HD 7200 RPM $82.50 -

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO $225 -

Sub Total: $1014.18

This was from

Basically the same specs, with some variations in chipsets and hardware.

• Raidmax 268 ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply Black
    Power Supply
    • Standard Case Power Supply
    • Intel® Pentium-4 Processor 3.2 Ghz CPU [512K Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready]
    Processor Cooling
    • Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink
    • Asus P4P800-Deluxe i865PE Chip 800FSB w/5.1 Sound, LAN, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard
    • 1024 MB Dual Channel [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Major Brand
    Video Card
    • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB W/DVI + TV OUT 8x AGP Video
    Hard Drive
    • 120 GB HARD DRIVES 120 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-100 Hard Drive
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive
    • [** Special !!! ***] Dual Format 12X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black
    Sound Card
    • 3D Wave Stereo Sound Onboard
    • Creative Labs V.92 56K Fax/Modem w/Voice
    Network Card
    • 10/100 Network Onboard
    Floppy Drive
    • Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Black
    • Multi-Media Keyboard Black
    • Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.1A USB Internet Mouse Beige
    USB Port
    • Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
    • Build-in IEEE-1394 Fire Wire
    Operation System
    • MS Windows XP Home Edition
    • Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty
    Rush Service
    • Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush,

Sub Total: $1,281

Then I thought to myself, for just $266.82, I get Windows XP Home, a keyboard, mouse, cheap speakers, 3 year warranty, and support on everything. I also wouldn't have to deal with the headache of configuring all of the hardware, and installing all of the drivers. Do you guys think it's worth the $266.82 or not?

Also, on a sidenote, since I am going to be running an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, do you think I should upgrade my power supply to 500 watts, and add a few more fans / a better heat sink?
  2. percent

percent deluded

Jan 5, 2004
    you will hate the mouse keyboard and speakers. They are not even worth considering as part of the deal. XP home you can get for about $90 new? or something like that. 350watt supply does sound a little skimpy. I would get 400 or 450 to be on the safe side. Its really up to you if you think its worth 100 for assembly. If it wsa me i would say id spend maybe 4 hours setting everything up, $25/hour would be more than enough to justify doing it myself. But if your not confident building stuff that might be a different story (or it might be good experience to do it yourself).

Keep in mind the newegg one may not come with all the cables you need (i dont know) - but you may end up spend money on cd audio cables, ide cables, power cables, floppy drive cable, etc

One other advantage of the one from i buy power is that besides the dvd burner being faster, its comes with a second cdrw drive. Thats a huge plus for copying things or playing a cd while haveing a cdrom in a drive.
  3. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

Apr 18, 2001
    350W is fine, i dunno why everyone feels the urge to upgrade power supplies needlessly.
    4 hours to assemble a comp is a bit much, I'd say youre paying way over $25/hr.
    the mobo is retail, will come with cables.
    you didnt factor a fan/heatsink into your newegg purchase unless youre gonna use stock on a 3.2 intel :mamoru:
    i dont see where it says the ibuypower comp comes with 2 cd drives, but maybe im misreading.
    why are you buying a modem? i guess from the lack of a NIC you use dial up? :(
    why are you buying a 3.5"? Doesn't your current comp have one?
    also note it looks like that case you are buying has 1 intake fan, and 2 exhausts. i've never seen a stand alone case that comes with fans. theres 3 more things you will have to buy possibly.
    the harddrive from ibuypower is ata100, slower than the ata133 u chose on ebay.
    and finally. they are selling you a crappier chip instead of the one you picked on newegg. (1mb cache vs 512k cache)

little things like that to cut corners is what makes them have a similar price.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2004