Need opinion:1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tenchuninja, Feb 8, 2002.

1. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

Hi all,
    I am looking to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee and found the following:

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
    4x4, 5.2L V8
    auto everything, even electric seats
    tape deck :(
    A/C
    very clean and the engine hauls
    the body is straight and the paint is the original emerald green (great condition)

the dealership is asking for $9,995.00

the jeep is supposed to have ABS brakes, but i didn't really feel them working. i am wondering if it's failed ABS sensor(s). it was raining out and didn't really want to get into an accident trying to see if they really work.

by the way, are the brakes kinda weak on the grand cherokee, or am i just not used to driving a SUV?

also, is there anything that i should check out that is a common problem for jeeps?

thanks!

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

How many miles?
    My dad has a 97, and his brakes aren't weak at all...

3. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

81,000 miles

4. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well you can always tell them to fix the brakes if they are broken so that's not a problem.
    Just don't forget, it's not a sports car, it will not handle like one, nor will it brake like one.

5. Platnum Toof

Platnum Toof Guest

Or will it be fast like one :rolleyes:

If you are used to driving a car, then the brakes on a SUV wont feel as good as a car, mainly because its pushing more weight. They should work fine, but like XtremeGod said, you can get them to check them out and fix them if they dont.

6. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

heheh. understandable. i'm not looking for a sportscar. i'm looking for something to get up the mountains with and to haul a boat trailer. it's just that the brakes didn't feel like they were working right. i'll get them to lookat it.

thanks.

7. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Actually if he got a '98 5.9 limited.........

8. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

5.9 limited with a carrol supercharger = :yum:

9. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I drove a 5.9 when I worked at a dealership :bigthumb:
    It's fun lighting up all 4 tires when pulling a car out front for a sale!

10. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Well....my wife had a '96 JGC....and it sucked !!!!

Yes...it was the Limited....

digital climate control system was funky.....

tranny had to be rebuilt at 48,000.....

had a nice problem with overheating on grades while towing.... (my 2.6 turbo/intercooled '86 Montero with 206,000+ miles tows the same Jetski trailer with no problems !!!)

Seats are the ultimate cush though

and we sold it for $8800 about 5 months ago....

KBB.com is too high...market is always lower..

Mad

11. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I know plenty of people who tow with their ZJ's all the time without a problem. You must have had a fluke.

12. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

13. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I hate the 5.2... I'd rather have the 5.9 or AMC I6 in a ZJ.

14. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Don't you mean the Chrysler I6? The AMC one was the 4.2, while Chrysler was the 4.0.

15. TriShield

Little known fact, Chrysler did NOT create the 4.0. American Motors Corp. did. It debuted in 1986 for the Cherokee and Comanche. It is the last in the long line of inline sixes that debuted in the 1950s.

AMC also designed most of the ZJ as a prototype. Jeep finally had the dough to put it into production after the Chrysler buyout.

Chrysler has tweaked the 4.0 over the years, but that and the Jeep 2.5 four cylinder are both American Motors engines.

16. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

The 4.0L high output was first made by AMC but the high outputs were actually bored .040 over and tweaked by Chrysler. And if you want to go waaay back the I6 and V6 were based off buick dauntless designs :)

17. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well I think it is kinda understood that the 4.0 is more Chrysler and the 4.2 AMC. But the engine in my CJ-7 is Chevy. :blue:

18. TriShield

You think the 5.9 V8 in my '87 Jeep SJ is a Chrysler engine too?

There is NOTHING Chrysler about the 4.0 engine in design, in fact many parts interchange with the 4.2, 3.8 and the other I6 that AMC had been using since the 1950s.

The 4.0 has also never been bored from the factory for higher horsepower output.

Chrysler got lucky when ole Lee purchased AMC, they got two new engine designs, the Grand Wagoneer successor design (the ZJ), and a brand new AMC plant in Bramalea (sp?) Ontario Canada.

AMC never used any other manufacturers engines to make it's own. The man who designed all of AMCs "modern" engines in the early 1950s was a engineer for Studebaker, and his name escapes me at the moment. But he designed the original AMC straight six which evolved into the 4.0 engine we have today. He also designed the AMC V8, which came in many different displacements. 290, 304, 327, 343, 360, 390, and 401 cubic inches. The 360 lasted until 1991 when the Grand Wagoneer was finally phased out after 28 years in production. I6 displacements after AMC was formed in 1953 go 198, 232, 258 and 242 (current Jeep engine).

Also, when Kaiser Industries owned Jeep they liscensed the Buick 225 CID V6 and Buick 350 V8, much the same way Land Rover had been using the Buick 4.1 V8 for so many years. When AMC purchased Jeep in late 1969 Buick let them keep the castings to the 225 V6. Years later Buick offered to buy it back. AMC once owned what eventually has become the 3800 V6 we know today.

The Grand National would probably have not existed had AMC chosen not to sell the engine back to Buick.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2002
  19. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

10k too much for that ZJ. 95's should be around 5-7k range.

Here in Dallas area I've seen a couple 98 5.9's for 12-14k range.

20. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

They must have had a ton of miles on them, because that is pretty damn cheap.

21. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

if you guys liked the 5.9 cherokees, check this:

The only highpoint on the Jeep front for 2004 will be an ultra high performance Jeep Grand Cherokee "Sport" package featuring Chrysler's hot new 5.7 liter Hemi V8! The goal is to create a Jeep capable of stomping ANY vehicle on the road. Notice that I didn't say SUV, that's because the engineers have created a package that they believe will be able to whip a Mustang "R" or a Corvette.

With an estimated 353 horsepower and 353 lb. ft.of torque the new Hemi is definitely up to the task (in comparison, the LS1 V8 used in the Corvette puts out 345 hp and 350 lb. ft of torque).The Hemi will be mated to a high performance 6-speed manual transmission. It's all-wheel-drive system will use electronically controlled transfer case teamed with electronically controlled front and rear differentials.

To ensure that the hot rod Jeep has World class handling, the package will include "adaptive" suspension dampening (both for front-to-rear and /side-to-side control). The system should be similar to the ESP suspension currently available on Mercedes Benz cars. The Sport will ride on eighteen or nineteen inch wheels shod with performance rubber. I also expect to see an aero kit on the body.

22. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I doubt that they will actually put that engine in the WJ. They just gave it the 4.7HO, why trump it a year later?

23. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

they definately will
    think of it like the Ram SRT-10 compared to the hemi ram
    they arent trumping it, just making the grand cherokee reach a different segment
    after all the grand cherokee "sport" will be far different from a limited laredo or overland

24. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

whyfor? the 318 takes some tweaking to run reliably, but once there.. it stays there..

5.2 in my roomie's W(or is it Z? I forget)J makes decent power with a Gen II and flowmaster 40 series.