Need notebook reccomendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bait, Jul 17, 2007.

1. bait

bait New Member

This is actually for my girlfriend. Once upon a time I was up on all of the best hardware and stuff, but that time is long gone. Don't have time to play with computers anymore. Heres what she needs:
    Good battery life, light is definitely a plus
    FUTURE PROOF needs to be usuable for about 5 years.
    Would like best bang for the buck. Gaming is not important at all, just needs to be able to run vista/streaming video without choking.

Dell guy told her this:
    800mhz FSB is very important for vista (I'm a bit skeptical, but I know what FSB can do for overall speed)
    2GB of ram is the minimum (pretty much believe this)
    dedicated graphics card is a must for vista (also believe this)

I need you guys' thoughts. I'm not opposed to building the machine myself, but it may be a stretch to talk her and her parents into it. It would have to be significantly cheaper. What brands are good these days? I know IBM/Lenovo is pretty much the standard for business laptops but she thinks they're ugly. She really wants one of the cool colors from dell ( :mamoru: )

I need thoughts, maybe a crash course on whats good right now. Back when I built shit I usually went for the stuff that was the best about 3 months ago... does that still work? What would/have you guys been buying?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if she wants pretty, get her a macbook.

3. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I own a Dell Laptop, 2-3 years old now, cost me $2k.

2Ghz Mobile, 1GB Dual Channel Ram, GF 6800 256mb, 60gig 7200rpm HDD, 17" 1920x1200 screen. It runs Vista fine, I personally prefer XP Pro still (Vista doesn't work with all my apps). It looking like I will keep this laptop another 2-3years.

If I had to replace my machine now.... I would get...
    -Intel Dual Core Processor @ 2ghz
    -2GB of Ram (Vista is memory hungry)
    -80+ 7200rpm HDD (7200rpm+ is a must for me, and Vista uses a good amount of space)
    -Nvidia 6-8 series GPU (My 6 series runs Vista perfectly)
    -15" screen (17" is nice, but 15" would be better for travel).

I would also get an IBM since they are durable as hell and very well built, but my dell has been good to me, no complaints about it.

4. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

$1300 on dell's website got me an 15" screen, 2ghz dual processor, 2gb ram, 120gb 7200rpm hdd, 256mb 8 series video card, WiFi, and DVD-RW. :dunno:

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Dell Vostro.

It's the new business line, and this looks like a good deal for the $ - $899, or $998 w/Vista Business

1.6ghz core 2 duo
    Vista home basic, but for $99 you get Vista business
    17" lcd - or for an extra $150, you can get the WUXGA panel with 1920x1200 res
    2gb of memory
    160gb hd
    Dvd burner
    128mb nVidia 8400M GS card
    A software suite with MS Works, Norton, Office Live

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=04&oc=bqdwl2j&c=US&l=EN

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Dell XPS

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want it to last 5 years do NOT get a dell.

IBM is the only consumer-grade solution that actually has build quality worth a damn for the long-haul.

8. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

my current dell is touching 5 years, and only now is showing signs of failure..........but in huge portions lol........as I type this, the LED lights are dead and I'm holding the screen up with a book behind it......can't wait for my new notebook to arrive next week

non dell of course

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Never heard of anyone using anything other than an Apple for 5 years and not hating it. Macbook Pro. No Brainer.

10. mrj

mrj New Member

If you want the laptop to last 5 years, you need to get one geared for business.

I'd definitely recommend any Thinkpad notebook. They're well known for being the top notch that you can get quality wise.

I've got a Compaq Armada P3 (1996ish) and a Gateway (2 years old) infront of me right here, and man the quality difference is ridiculous. The gateway squeaks and creaks the entire time you use it, and it flexes.. Definitely won't last long under any rugged use. The Armada, apart from being slow as piss with Vista, doesn't make a sound and types perfectly. Doesn't even look old at all apart from the ABS/whatever plastic the used back then.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

For what it's worth, I just saw where the Dell Vostro is not going to support
    the Trusted Business Platform (TPM), which means that Vostro is not going to
    be able to use Vista's BitLocker Drive Encryption.

*edit - ugh... that's Trusted Platform Module...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dell will do anything to save a buck. Forget the customer, let's make as much money as possible.