Need new UI for Windows.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KilgoreTrout19D, Jun 1, 2006.

1. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

Where can I find a new UI or program to change my UI for Windows? I see lots of cool mods from people's screen shots of desktops. I know there is something out there, but I can't remember the name. I've also tried Google. But the shit I found on there was not understandable, for a semi computer knowledged person as myself.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've tried many of them, and not a single one was stable enough to rely on daily.

Of them all, Ashton shell was the closest to being workable -- and even it was way off.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

WindowBlinds is probably the best. Or at least the most popular. IIRC MS actually licensed their theme technology for Windows XP from the company that makes it (StarDock). Still though, in the end they all just suck up resources and are not perfectly stable as Jolly already said. You'll get annoyed with them pretty quick.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

WindowBlinds is a good program to change the look of Windows; I use the new version 5.0 every day at home and at work. If you actually want to replace Explorer.Exe, that's a whole different ballpark. Best of luck if that's the case.

5. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

aston shell was the best one that I used. I could never get WB to work right. Aston wasn't always reliable and from what Iremember, it was a memory hog.

6. deusexaethera

WindowBlinds has one important caveat that not a lot of people know about: the method it uses to skin windows (which has changed in version 5.0, it now runs as part of the System) is incompatible with a few programs and can cause them to crash, so you have to tell WB to exempt them from its skinning process. AutoCAD and ArcGIS are among them, but considering I only use those for work so it's not a huge loss. It's a good thing that Stardock made the interface to register exemptions fairly easy to use.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

explorer uses like 20MB. Nothing when you consider everything it has to do.

And since you like quoting TV: "You're a tool and a douchebag."

8. deusexaethera

I quoted a movie. Once.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I too have run into the problems of instability in the long term. I dont know how many times i've fried my XP GUI. I stay away from that shit now... even tho it is sooo tempting.

10. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

Thanks for all the input. What if I decide to get WindowBlinds and then later want to delete it? Will I run into problems there?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think of it much like norton... (besides hating it) it's very difficult to fully get rid of. Things never seem to run the same afterwards.

12. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

DO NOT! Get windowsblinds unless you want your PC to slow down, significantly. Its a very shitty program.

Get StyleXP instead. Way more themes, uses virtually no resources, and you dont even need to keep it running after you set the theme you like

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Even better advice...

Just suck it up and deal with how it is...

I have used many of these programs and in the end they are not stable and just slow down the machine.