Need new spyware and virus software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris90210, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

this weekend i'm reinstalling XP on this computer cause everyone screws it up what are some good programs that are comming out that should be good?
    i was looking at Nortain 2006 but it had really bad reviews and personal experiance with 2005 makes me dislike them right now.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well, it really depends on the other users that use your computer.

Personally I use AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware 6.0SE. But I'm the only one who uses my computer. I've never had a problem with malware using these 3 programs, but I am also behind a proxy on my network so I don't get the front of alot of nasty stuff that probably comes my way through bittorrent sites and the like.

3. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

thats the problem i don't use bittorrents and p2p sights cause i figured out you don't get all that crap if you stay way so i don't screw with it..... others come in and download it and dowload tons of infected crap and i usually don't know about it til the weekends when i seriously use the computer

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i can only tell you what has worked for me... so take that for what you will.

i've used Norton 2002 (or 03, i cant recall atm as i'm at work) for the longest time, in conjunction with Ad-Adware and Spyboy, and more recently, Microsoft's AntiSpyware. between all of those, i've been safe. i have been into all of the filesharing things thru the years that most people have... but i also tend to know what i'm doing when doing so. i have shared my computer with roomates in the past... but i was pretty good at scaring them into being very careful about what they downloaded and did on my computer.

5. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

yea my friends who use these programs don't know whats safe to download. cause i used to use limwire and kazaa alot with no problems before i got into online gaming after looking at some program review i'm looking at Mcfee 2006, Spybot Search and Destroy, and adaware(used this program for years love it)

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Don't forget about SpywareBlaster to help keep the crap out to start with. It just sets in IE a huge list of sites and cookies to block. For FF it sets a huge list of cookies to block.

7. GoChris

GoChris 11 seconds

norton sucks
    kaspersky anti virus > norton

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i tried this... but it locked down my network shares for some reason.. and i coudl not for the life of me find where ot re-enable it. care to shed some light on it for me?

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

eh... no worries. i'm aight with Norton Corp for now. i'll revisit Kapersky another time perhaps. thanks.

10. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have used norton antivirus 2005, mcafee 2005, and kaspersky. Kaspersky>Norton>Mcafee. Kaspersky found viruses that niether norton nor mcafee did, also I like that it updates every hour. I also use Spybot S&D and Adaware SE.